10 steps to getting the most out of a tech support call

Thread: 10 steps to getting the most out of a tech support call

Post 10 steps to getting the most out of a tech support call

This months computer shopper features a section on how to get good tech support.

What do you all think, since most of us work there... My comments are in italiacs. (sp?)

1) Make sure you have all your information handy. This includes your warranty, terms and conditions document, hardware packing list with serial numbers, and your general documentation.
    Rule#1 shoud be Read the F***ing manual...

2) Check out the obvious prior to makig the call. Is the power switch on? Has a circuit breaker been tripped or damaged?
    Refer to my rule#1

3) If possible, print or capture any error messages to a text file. If you have enough PC left to send an e-mail, this information can help the technician.

4) Be calm. The technician is looking to solve your problem as quickly as possible. Launching into a lengthy rant about product quality will push the technician toward sloughing you off to someone else.
    This should be #2

5) Write down everything. How long you were on hold, the techs fullname, every method he/'she tried, the results, any case numbers or trouble tickets assigned to your problem.

6) If the first call doesn't work, try another form of communication. Often the workers behind e-mail or chat support are different from those on the phone. Again, record everything, and remain calm.
    and refer to my rule #1

7) Check out support newsgroups that cover your product. Pose your problem there, and see what comes back. Often, checking a newsgroup can help you better during subsequent calls.
    Sounds like a plug-in for WD!!

8) Be firm in subsequenbt calls - don't let the techician run through the same script as during your first call until stumbling at the same spot. Note where you left off on the last call, and provide your case or trouble-ticket number.
    And refer to rule #4

9) If the technician can't help, escalate (ask for a supervisor), but do so calmly. You're now talkinf to someone not only more powerful but more knowledgeable. If the product just isn't fixable, a supervisor can expidite repairs or even authorise a product exchange.
    Odd, when I did support,we didn't need a sup to do that...

10) If the supervisor refuses tohelp, or can't help, don't just stop calling. Calling at another time means getting another supervisor and another chance at better help. It also means getting still more information about your problem that you can give a third party technician if that becomes necesary.
    [i]You should have bought locally![/i}
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

your pretty true on most of those, just a few pointers. Not all call centres run on a tier system. Mine does not. you want to talk to the supervisor about an issue, fine, the Sup WILL NOT TROUBLSHOOT.

The major key's are "Don't rant, Don't argue and treat the tech with some respect"

If you call in and i get you, and you rant, I'll hang-up. I'm allowed to. If you argue with me, I'll hang-up, I'm allowed to(refusing to troublshoot), if you treat me like a moron, I'll go STRICTLY by the book and refuse to elaborate on anything.

Another rule to add "Be aware of what IS supported, and don't rip into the tech for not supporting you if your uing unsupported software/hardware"
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

It doesn't matter what customer service you are trying to get, from returning faulty kids toys to getting an issue fixed. If you lose your temper or get rude or get 'tude or refuse to do as you are asked, you get no where.

There are many people who subscribe to going in loud and hard - they think it gets them better service. I personally don't think it does. Where I have explained quietly and carefully I have usually ended up with not only my problem fixed but vouchers and stuff to spend at a later date as a sorry that it didn't work.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

[quote]Originally posted by Draggar:
    <strong>[i]You should have bought locally![/i}</strong><hr></blockquote>

No offense, Draggar, but its the local shops in my town that screw up the most. I make a fortune doing side jobs that they foul up.

Maybe different in your neck of the woods.

Nice post, though.

L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

[quote] If the technician can't help, escalate (ask for a supervisor), but do so calmly. You're now talkinf to someone not only more powerful but more knowledgeable. If the product just isn't fixable, a supervisor can expidite repairs or even authorise a product exchange.
    <hr></blockquote>

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. OK. If that is what the reader wants to believe. I don't know bout you guys' work. But my job it seems the more up on the corporate ladder someone gets, the more unqualified they become.
    "We have no time for rational solutions."- G.Carlin

[quote] No offense, Draggar, but its the local shops in my town that screw up the most. I make a fortune doing side jobs that they foul up.

Maybe different in your neck of the woods.
    <hr></blockquote>

All depends on WHO the local company has working for them. Who and what they know makes all the difference.

Aside from that, a very successful (and smart)man I hold the honor of knowing told me that the secret to tackling the goal of customer excelence is not only attempting to solve the proble, but making the customer believe you want to help! A good repore (?sp) is critical!
    "We have no time for rational solutions."- G.Carlin