Women in tech
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Women in tech

Exclamation Women in tech

******Warning Rant Session**************

(Beging Rant}

One of my top 50 leasons that I have learned is the following:

What ever you do, never hire a women in your IT department! They are so damn moody and you cant kick there asses if they step out of line!!!!

They whine, they are way too damn detailed with every thing (I mean EVERYTHING).

Word of warning

I dont mean to sound sexist (LIE), but damn. Shut the F*** up already!!!

(End Rant)

Sorry to offend any ladies out there, I am sure you are not like the person that I have described. You cant be if you read windrivers!!!
    Steven Henry

lol, so whats happend man, explain a little, may help calm u down..
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

[quote] they are way too damn detailed with every thing (I mean EVERYTHING). <hr></blockquote>

Hmmm talk about shooting yerself in the foot!

Tech work is all in the detail man!

How many times have you solved a user or inexperienced tech - or for that matter a very experienced tech's problem by just going through the details?

Things get forgotten easily enough, basics not checked... ok you get the idea I wont go on

Garak - I am gonna guess he was shown up good and proper infront of his boss by a woman!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

[quote]Originally posted by NooNoo:
    <strong>

Hmmm talk about shooting yerself in the foot!

Tech work is all in the detail man!

How many times have you solved a user or inexperienced tech - or for that matter a very experienced tech's problem by just going through the details?

Things get forgotten easily enough, basics not checked... ok you get the idea I wont go on

Garak - I am gonna guess he was shown up good and proper infront of his boss by a woman!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I dont mean Detailed in tech exactly, ... it is hard to explain that part. It is mostly the bitchy part that has me pissed.

I wish these girls could show me up, I would not be so mad if they could, but they cant! Get my meaning?
    Steven Henry

[quote] and you cant kick there asses if they step out of line <hr></blockquote>

AND why NOT !? (Spelling excepted) Sounds like the best bit of this sorry experience, where are all the Misogynists when you need one.....

Banned

I feel for ya man. My co worker is a female. Hell, my office of 120 has 100 females, my boss is a female, I am suprised I am allowed to pee standing up here.
    I just keep my cool, and document everything that goes wrong now, and all her little screwups. Don't get me wrong either, she could be a really good tech if she wanted to learn. But the fact is, she thinks she knows everything, I don't get called in until everything is really screwed up. So I stay bored most of the day. My people have their stuff done right. And as far as butt whoopins, I tried to tell her straight up how I felt about her "style" it got me a 2 hour lecture from the boss, who is 2 thousand miles away. She freaking called up and cried to the boss, damn, work with me here.
    Oh well, times have changed and Cleetus is no longer in a boys club, must realize women are here and in charge, just play their game, cause I already lost.

I thought I may have been out of line with my thoughts, so I consulted my wife on the subject. Even she agreed that working for a women is hard. EVEN MY WIFE AGREED!!!! Even they know how F***ED up they are!!! HAHAHAHHA

Funny!
    Steven Henry

Well, I hate working with some women, I love working with others.

The ones that annoy me, are the secretaries of the head honchos, that spend all damn day, poorly constructing 300 Meg word documents (dont think for a second that Im kidding...) and drop it on us to fix and trim down.

On the flipside, I have worked with 2 female techs, and I think those two girls are the salt of the earth. Very cluey, friendly, great fun, and (low and behold) even good looking.

There are a lot of blokes out there in the industry that suck too, remember that.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

Talking

I do have to say of the women tech I have met, all but 1 is very very compident and really knows their $h*t, the other is still learning and making progress. I have never had a hard time with there moodyness, at one of my tech jobs there are several women. Several of them are my freinds, I relized that they are not going to give me cooties back in Kindergarten. Have you?
    I like trafic lights

[quote]Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong>Well, I hate working with some women, I love working with others.

The ones that annoy me, are the secretaries of the head honchos, that spend all damn day, poorly constructing 300 Meg word documents (dont think for a second that Im kidding...) and drop it on us to fix and trim down.

On the flipside, I have worked with 2 female techs, and I think those two girls are the salt of the earth. Very cluey, friendly, great fun, and (low and behold) even good looking.

There are a lot of blokes out there in the industry that suck too, remember that.</strong><hr></blockquote>
    I will agree with you that I am sure that there are some gals in tech that are cool. For instance a good friend of me and my wife is just getting into tech (Websited design anyway) and she is really cool. I would love to work with her. So I guess there are some good ladies out there.
    Steven Henry

Banned

[quote]Originally posted by Thunderwind (Steven Henry):
    <strong>I thought I may have been out of line with my thoughts, so I consulted my wife on the subject. Even she agreed that working for a women is hard. EVEN MY WIFE AGREED!!!! Even they know how F***ED up they are!!! HAHAHAHHA

Funny!</strong><hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAHA
    One of the best days I have had at this job, is when I was really pissed off at a bunch of them running me around, I got on the elevator with one of our front desk ladies. She turned to me, completly serious and said "God damn, I hate working for and around a bunch of women" I laughed so hard milk shot out of my mouth, and I haven't had milk in 3 years. She is one of my best around work friends now.

I've worked under men and women (no jokes, please) and I have noticed it is harder to work for a woman. And its not that 'monthly' thing, but all the time. They're more strict and less willing to compromise..

As for women techs, some of my coworkers that I keep in touch with all the time, about half are women. These women do a great job (from what I understand) and are a great addition to the company. Personal problems stay outside (unless they're asked), professional issues stay inside the doors...

Its all a matter of who you're working for. I've worked for some women who were great bosses. Easy going, willing to listen to new ideas, etc... and I've worked for some men who were just plain pains in the a$$es.

Don't forget, not too long ago, the men were expected to go out and work, and the women were expected to stay at home. A lot of it lasting until 20-25 years ago. A lot of college professors, and members of high management still try to live in that world, and expect everyone else to. So, if they see a woman coming up quickly, sure, they may nit like it. They might make it harder for the woman to excel in what she easily can, thus making her work harder, and possibly giving her an attitude towards the other workers.

Times are changing. Unfortunatly there are still a lot of people out there who believe in the old ways, as difficult as it may be now in this economy. Hopefully once the traditional thinking minds are out of the way, things will improve...

One more thing that may contribute to this: Women only make about 85%-90% of what a man would do in the same exact job with the same exact experience and same exact work ethic. Its a fact.
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

As a woman in charge allow me to tell you a couple of things. Hiring guys sucks. Each one of you thinks that you know the only/best way to do something. You keep your egos in your pants, you're messy, unorganized and your work is sloppy. I'm surprised most of you even remember to shower once a day (once a week if your European). I consider myself pretty laid back, but working with men is something I wish could do less. If I could find more women with the talents I need I wouldn't have hired 1/2 my male work force. Women tend to be more complete with their work, they tie up loose ends and are better at customer relations which is what IT is all about.
    We basically have to work harder for the same respect. My female coworkers understand that I expect from them what I expect from myself. Heaven help me if I have to come down on a male coworker. I'm suddenly a "bitch" or "on the rag". You try dealing with that on a daily basis. Men can just fart around and get promotions thanks to the ole boys club, but dammit I have to bust my *** everyday and I still don't get invited out for dinner with the boss. Thunderwind, don't take this personally, but screw you.

EDIT - I'm leaving this up, but please understand that reading the initial post upset me quite a bit and I just typed what I was feeling. I know that much of this is subjective, and I, in general, have good relationships with the members of my team. I'm cool now and I think I actually apologized a little further in. I guess Thunderwind was feeling the same way I was when he wrote his post.
    end of line.

Banned

i personally know where hes comming from, so let me try to explain what I THINK hes trying to say here..
    ok some ppl,, usually the female gender, have a way of noticing the lil stuff, the non important little details,like these cables shuld be run neatly, what im trying to say is we the techs dont necesarrily notice the lil stuff,and are experianced enough to understand more real world technical details , then they cant, we tend to overlook the lil details that arent causeing the problemo , like who really cares what that tangled mess looks like behind the desk is the computer funcioning? no why , probablly not because the cables are ot of order, but if you would to put them in order like lets now tie the monitor cable with the printer cable and the cat 5 lead, we can straighten them out, tiem all togetherm nice and neet we might risk a posible ground loop, or blead over from the monitor cable, and the cat5/or printer,causeing errors, if you try a fix and cause another problem ...you didnt fix the first problem..if you would have left them tangled they wouldnt have very much inductance.. , before you jump to conclusions , im just trying here to get the feel of whats going on, and you the tech are trying to sort out another problem not waste valuable time on a worthless isue,like i said some ppl pay way too much atention to worthless details why the major details are over looked,and when you open youre mouthe to these ppl ohh oure way too wrong and they in tern end up critisizeing you , ive been thier done it did it , my sympathy goes out to you man ive worked on cars,"where every body else places thier worthless 2 cents" you dont sweat the lil stuff till the magor problems are ironed out, personally i would open my mouthe and make her look bad ,, personally ask here why she has to act this way , call her imature , but put her right on the spot for her actions , ooh she will get pped off about it but go right thier and say something to her anny way , you cant loose man, if she gets rude ask her why? if i ever got into a fight with someone, or got punched by the bully i had my own way , just ask the person point blank why did you hit me? why are you acting this way?? its better then decking the person , because it hits them in thier mind, i actually made a friend by doin this in jr high school, no body ever had the nads to get in this persons face and say why did you do this?? personally show them how wrong they are and the problem goes away, but watch youre back these ppl like to make stuff up and go cryn to the boss to get eaven , better tell the boss about whats goin on first,
    ask him why he ever hired this person who needs to sek other employemt for they are not working out! i feel for bro you but i just cant reach my postal workers uniform....</end of rant>

[quote]Originally posted by Kymera:
    <strong>As a woman in charge allow me to tell you a couple of things. Hiring guys sucks. Each one of you thinks that you know the only/best way to do something. You keep your egos in your pants, you're messy, unorganized and your work is sloppy. I'm surprised most of you even remember to shower once a day (once a week if your European). I consider myself pretty laid back, but working with men is something I wish could do less. If I could find more women with the talents I need I wouldn't have hired 1/2 my male work force. Women tend to be more complete with their work, they tie up loose ends and are better at customer relations which is what IT is all about.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well there we have it! Men & women should not work together...it is a war waiting to happen. Thanks for the post!
    Steven Henry