I have a Sony DVD-ROM, which is giving me trouble. I purchased it in August 2001. I returned it to the store where I bought it, but they said they couldn't find a fault with it. I contacted Sony Europe, who are the Tech Help for Sony in England. They said, after hearing my complaints, that it did sound as though the Drive was faulty and that I should contact Avery Berkel, who are the UK Service Agents for Sony, and request them to repair it under guarantee. However, on contacting Avery Berkel I was told that they had been instructed by Sony to only carry out guarantee repairs where the product was under 1 year old FROM THE DATE OF MANUFACTURE, and not from the date of purchase. They said that they had received lots of complaints about this. I told them what I thought of the Situation, and they told me to get back to Sony Europe. I did this, and they said there was nothing else I could do, and suggested that I either pay for a repair or throw it away. I asked for the number of Customer Services in the UK. However, ringing them only brought the response that they weren't responsible for Computer Products, and told me to contact Sony Europe again. I told them that as a responsible company would they please get me the address of someone who would confirm that Sony were no longer giving a year guarantee from date of purchase on Sony Computer Products, and he said he would try and would telephone me back. I am still waiting!

Is Sony doing this in the USA?