noticing processors....

Thread: noticing processors....

Question noticing processors....

hmm...

Recently, as some of you may or may not have noticed, I've been asking a lot about whats a good dual mobo for a daul ghz system and got a few replies I was expecting...others not, but thats not what I've come to post...

What I have noticed is the amd mp processors and their price. They're a good amount more than an intel, by about 40 bucks. Now I'm not a processor maker - I know how they work, and I mean that to the most minute detail but can someone explain to me why an amd mp would cost so much more than its counterpart (the amd 1ghz, thunder or not)?? intel's have always been more expensive and you've been able to dual them from ...I dunno how far back (pentium pro isn't it?) and all batch numbers are the same on p3s which is nice when you wanna buy 1 now, and another 1 later....

I'm assuming there's something with the multi-threading that I don't quite understand...anyone shed light on why it would be more expensive to do a daul processor system?

please note, I'm not talking about the chipset for a given motherboard, I'm talking about physical processor and whats going on inside.

admins, if you want to move this to a more suited forum, thats cool with me.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

I have no clue, but it is worth writing AMD and asking about it. Maybe they will send some literature on it.

I have heard that AMD does something with software with dual processors, whether thats true or not I do not know.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Actually, it's been my experience that ALL Athlon boards are more expensive than the equivalent Pentium III boards. The average price of a board from The Chip Merchant is about $120 for Pentium III, which a range of $94-174, while the Athlon is about $130 average, with a range of $102-$164.

From what I've seen though, the dualie boards seem about equivalent. I paid about $500 for my Asus P2B-DS a couple years back, and the new Tyan Thunder K7 is at $575.

Darren Wilson

Anandtech has a very interesting article on the Athlon MP and how it differs from the other CPU's. Basically it is how it translates the Cache calls between each CPU.

littleport(don't ask), ely, cambridgeshire

hehe, by the time windows XP is released i should think ill have a dual board up and running.
    you installed windows didn't you?
    i told you if you put windows on your have problems...