Outside Consultants Controlling Company IT Staff

Thread: Outside Consultants Controlling Company IT Staff

Post Outside Consultants Controlling Company IT Staff

I was in my job as tech support to cut consultant costs for the company. My job primarily are all user workstations: repair, replace troubleshoot and the like as well as address end user software issues. I also purchase the computers. My role and description/tasks(which I really can't list here - way too long) is very much that of an IT Manager. It turns out that the CFO (my boss) very much likes the consultants and wines and dines with them - so we have a buddy, buddy thing going here. I find out that these consultants (who are extremely controlling) have given the CFO for the company a work management system (which can be useful)so that they can stay at their location to handle end users problems on their workstation. Quite a bit of what the consultants want to do would reduce substantially a lot of my job, thus making me seem as if I have nothing do which could possibly end my job. The idiot boss that I have cannot see or refuses to see that the consultants are gaining business for themselves at whatever the cost. I have every intention of documenting this as well as writing my boss (objectively of course) as to what is happening and what my status would end up being.
    The same consultant have sent their network techs here to sit time to generate revenue at our expense. My boss does not believe this is true.

What do you think of this drama?

Curious about your responses. Thanks.

instead of telling your boss what might happen to your job, you should write him a letter or proposal letting him know how he can save money by using you instead of these other consultants.This will look good for you, your boss and the company.
    Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem.- Ronald Reagan

Snooper: I don't know what your experiences have been, but I would appreciate any "out of the box" suggestions you may have on how to best save money for network services for a company or suggested websites.

Thanks!

Give your boss some graphs showing how much the company would save with your idea - but only if you're sure there's a possibility of that happening.

If there's some sort of deal going on between your boss and the outside cunsultancy, then there's nothing much you can do.

Not even a Powerpoint presentation could prove your findings if that is the case...
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Welcome to the [nasty] corporate game. Unfortunately, you're up against a major trend in the business world. Outsourcing is getting bigger every day...mainly because the consultants seem to always project their budgets to be less than perceived current IT spending. The other major reasons that "clueless bosses" like consultants is that they won't have to pay for benefits, and finally, if they don't like the outfit, they dump them and try someone else. [They're a built in "blame magnet,"...something goes wrong, it can't be me or us...must be the consultants...can 'em!]

Add to that the consulting firms ability to budget for the "wining and dining" of prospective clients....you're at a disadvantage here.

As to the network people sitting around...unfortunately, there's method to their madness. You are probably training by default the people who will be managing or replacing you, if worse comes to worst!

Snooper and Adept have good points. All I can add is you have to go with your strengths, and anyone who works this biz knows that there's no substitute for a good, loyal worker who's familiar with the setup, and has worked with it and the users every day!

Also keep in mind as a "talking point." Has your boss ever had any experience with "remote phone support?" It always sounds good on paper [reduced costs...24/7 support...blah blah blah], but do we really need another ignorant person reading us a flow chart of "fixes?" Even worse, would you give the average "user support" employee control over your desktop...remotely?

So, try to find out what level of training and competence the "remote support" people have.

Don't antagonize your boss. If he's the kind that can be bought with a three martini lunch, you're not going to sway him with reason and logic.

[Final thought...when you're on vacation, or take a day or two off in the middle of the week, do you sense from the employees you work with that you were missed? Do they seem to value your work and skill? If yes, I'd make a major deal out of your knowledge and familiarity with the system and users....you can't do that over the phone!]
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."

Question

Shouldn't this be in consultants corner?

Sorry I couldn't resist