w00t New hard drive at $1 a gig

Thread: w00t New hard drive at $1 a gig

Post w00t New hard drive at $1 a gig

Not that I couldn't put this in the hot deals forum but I am moreso letting everyone know how happy I am. I went to Staples last night and picked up a Maxtor ATA133 80gb 7200RPM hard drive. It is normally $190 but they have it on sale for $150 right now. So, I used a printable $30 off $150 coupon and got it for $120. Now, the hard drive is going on sale to $130 this weekend and that is precisely why I wanted to purchase it now. If it went on sale, I couldn't use the $30 coupon. So, I'm going back on Sunday when it goes on sale, get Staples to pricematch it to the new price (100% pricematch guarantee on their own products) and get $20 back making the hard drive $110. On top of that, it comes with a free Maxtor/Promise ATA/133 controller card. Since I won't be using that, I threw it up on Ebay for a buy it now of $30. 80GB hard drive for $80. Now, I'm selling off my 40gb and I get the 80gb for free after swapping out the 40gb. w00t I did good.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

[quote]Originally posted by Aplustech:
    <strong>Not that I couldn't put this in the hot deals forum but I am moreso letting everyone know how happy I am. I went to Staples last night and picked up a Maxtor ATA133 80gb 7200RPM hard drive. It is normally $190 but they have it on sale for $150 right now. So, I used a printable $30 off $150 coupon and got it for $120. Now, the hard drive is going on sale to $130 this weekend and that is precisely why I wanted to purchase it now. If it went on sale, I couldn't use the $30 coupon. So, I'm going back on Sunday when it goes on sale, get Staples to pricematch it to the new price (100% pricematch guarantee on their own products) and get $20 back making the hard drive $110. On top of that, it comes with a free Maxtor/Promise ATA/133 controller card. Since I won't be using that, I threw it up on Ebay for a buy it now of $30. 80GB hard drive for $80. Now, I'm selling off my 40gb and I get the 80gb for free after swapping out the 40gb. w00t I did good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good job!

A little too much work for me but you got a good deal.
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

Make sure you add back in for postage when you have to RMA the drive 6 months from now.

Pretty good deal, otherwise. WTG.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

[quote]Originally posted by KINGofBLEH:
    <strong>Make sure you add back in for postage when you have to RMA the drive 6 months from now.

Pretty good deal, otherwise. WTG. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't know why you say that. I've always used Maxtor drives and they're great. Out of all of my customers and myself I have had to RMA 3 drives (and that is a very low percentage) and each time it was great. Call Maxtor, they ship the replacement 2 Day air to me and then I send them the defective one back in a prepaid envelope they send me with the new drive.

[quote]Originally posted by Aplustech:
    <strong>

Don't know why you say that. I've always used Maxtor drives and they're great. Out of all of my customers and myself I have had to RMA 3 drives (and that is a very low percentage) and each time it was great. Call Maxtor, they ship the replacement 2 Day air to me and then I send them the defective one back in a prepaid envelope they send me with the new drive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've had to RMA 14 Maxtor drives in the last year. They do have a good return policy (I was kidding about the postage), it's just that their drives are crappy.

I dunno. Maybe its because I work on corporate desktops that get a lot of abuse. Haven't seen this prob with WD, Seagate or IBM drives.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

That's wierd because I love Maxtor. I was having problems with WD hard drives so I stopped using them and IBM drives are nice but usually more than the competition so I haven't used many of them. I was just glad when I got it home that it wasn't one of those half height hard drives that Maxtor has been making.

No problems with Maxtor or Seagate. Seagate are now held highly in my recommendations as they replaced a 15Gb ATA66 5400rpm HDD of theirs (this was the replacement for the drive I sent back initially and this one died after 7-8 days due it being a reburbished model) with a Barracuda IV 30Gb ATA100 7200rpm drive with their compliments and an apology for the inconvienience.

Never had to RMA a drive back to Maxtor direct but I have never had any problems returning them to the suppliers, in the rare case that one does develop a major problem.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Hmm..now that was a confusing story...BUT...w00000t anyway!

Btw, I have seen several Maxtors and Seagates go out here at work....
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

i don't really like maxtors and i totally refuse to use Western Digital. i like IBMs and i really like Seagate, quiet, fast, and never had a problem with one.
    take care and tempt not the fates

[quote]Originally posted by Buddy Holly:
    <strong>i don't really like maxtors and i totally refuse to use Western Digital. i like IBMs and i really like Seagate, quiet, fast, and never had a problem with one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maxtor's new drivers are liquid bearing drives. I've never had a hard drive so quiet. But I will admit that the IBM drives that I have used (few and far between) have been pretty good on noise. However, I've had some pretty loud seagates.

You got a good deal, A+. It's nice when the system works for you instead of against you!

-------------------

Everyone has a different opinion on different hard drives, mainly because the drives are manufactured in batches with similar quality. So you might get one bad batch - that doesn't mean that every drive from that manufacturer is poor.

Bottom line - make sure your data is backed up, because hard drives fail. No matter who makes 'em.

Cool

[quote]Originally posted by MacGyver:
    <strong>You got a good deal, A+. It's nice when the system works for you instead of against you!

-------------------

Everyone has a different opinion on different hard drives, mainly because the drives are manufactured in batches with similar quality. So you might get one bad batch - that doesn't mean that every drive from that manufacturer is poor.

Bottom line - make sure your data is backed up, because hard drives fail. No matter who makes 'em.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Amen. With one amendment. Quantum Bigfoot. I don't think they had a single batch of that model that wasn't bad. Bad idea and bad quality. Luckily they were bought out by (oops) Maxtor.

[quote]Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    <strong>No problems with Maxtor or Seagate. Seagate are now held highly in my recommendations as they replaced a 15Gb ATA66 5400rpm HDD of theirs (this was the replacement for the drive I sent back initially and this one died after 7-8 days due it being a reburbished model) with a Barracuda IV 30Gb ATA100 7200rpm drive with their compliments and an apology for the inconvienience.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wish I could be inconvienienced like that.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie_Tech:
    <strong>

Amen. With one amendment. Quantum Bigfoot. I don't think they had a single batch of that model that wasn't bad. Bad idea and bad quality. Luckily they were bought out by (oops) Maxtor.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Man, I hated those drives. Too damn big to fit most places and the worst hard drives anyone could have ever bought. I feel sorry for the poor saps that bought those retail