Will someone please explain this error message to me - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will someone please explain this error message to me

Why don't you just try going to Administrative Tools and disable the 'Error Reporting Service'? If the message stops and you don't experience any other problems, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Also, try these:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DrWatson and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug: 0 or 1 : these settings can modify the reporting and other behavior of Dr. Watson, but what you really need to do is get the offending thread to shut down down, so...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\AlwaysUnloadDLL
    Set the abword to 1 (always unloads) or 0 (does not always unload), depends on your needs,
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop/ab-AutoEndTasks: set it to 1
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop/ab-HungAppTimeout: seconds are measured in the thousands; the lower the number, the faster the behavior.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop/WaitToKillAppTimeout:ab-same as above, there are other timeout settings, try them if you need to. Then, go to
    HKEY_USERS\Control Panel\S-1-5-18\Control Panel\Desktop etc and make the identical changes, then on to S-1-5-19, S-1-5-20, S-1-5-21-3418197756-1574560237-1412819277-1003 and do the same. Making the changes in one location does not automatically make the changes in the others so you have to do it manually. Yes, unknown changes can make
    Windows stop working properly, but sometimes registry changes actually work and its a lot less hassle then completely formatting and reinstalling the OS.
    Good luck.

My suggestions are as follows:

Change the value for "SoundMan" to "start /belownormal SOUNDMAN.EXE"

Delete the following keys:
    "QuickTime Task"
    "MediaFace Integration"
    "SunJavaUpdateSched"
    "updateMgr"
    "CTFMON.EXE" -- Only if you are not using Alternative User Input for Microsoft Office

Delete the leading "\" from the values on the following keys:
    "Opware12"
    "RemoteControl"
    "gcasServ"
    "Ulead Quick-Drop"
    "Ad-watch"
    "H/PC Connection Agent"

I do not recommend disabling error reporting until nothing else works. This way there is a record of errors that may enlighten us on other issues as well.

Let me know if this helps. If not, we will try other things.

Joseph

Hey Thaynejo

I have deleted the values as requested, but still the dwwin.exe error persists.

But I did not change the "\" values because they did not appear in the registry string. I think this was because I exported the registry as a *.reg file then converted it to *.txt.

Anyway I have attached the new registry details (as an expoprted *.txt file) for your further comments.

=============================================

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    Class Name: <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time: 9/11/2005 - 11:09 AM
    Value 0
    Name: NvCplDaemon
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: RUNDLL32.EXE NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

Value 1
    Name: nwiz
    Data: nwiz.exe /install

Value 2
    Name: DisplayTrayIcon
    Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\TrayIcon.exe

Value 3
    Name: CTHelper
    Data: CTHELPER.EXE

Value 4
    Name: AsioReg
    Data: REGSVR32.EXE /S CTASIO.DLL

Value 5
    Name: SoundMan
    Data: start /belownormnal SOUNDMAN.EXE

Value 6
    Name: Omnipage
    Data: C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe

Value 7
    Name: Opware12
    Data: "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro12.0\Opware12.exe"

Value 8
    Name: WinampAgent
    Data: C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe

Value 9
    Name: iTunesHelper
    Data: C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

Value 10
    Name: Iomega Drive Icons
    Data: C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe

Value 11
    Name: Deskup
    Data: C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART

Value 12
    Name: AVG7_CC
    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

Value 13
    Name: gcasServ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"

Value 14
    Name: AVG7_EMC
    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe

Value 15
    Name: Ulead Quick-Drop
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead DVD MovieFactory 4.0 Disc Creator TBYB\Ulead Quick-Drop 1.0\Quick-Drop.exe" WINDOWCALL

Value 16
    Name: Ad-watch
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe"

Value 17
    Name: <NO NAME>
    Data:

Value 18
    Name: Norton Ghost 9.0
    Data: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost\Agent\GhostTray.exe

Value 19
    Name: NeroFilterCheck
    Data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe

Value 20
    Name: InCD
    Data: C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\OptionalComponents
    Last Write Time: 12/05/2004 - 11:51 AM

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL
    Value 0
    Name: Installed
    Data: 1

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI
    Value 0

Value 1
    Name: NoChange

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS
    Value 0

=============================================

Key Name: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    Last Write Time: 9/11/2005 - 1:37 PM
    Value 0
    Name: H/PC Connection Agent
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"

Value 1
    Name: SpybotSD TeaTimer
    Data: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

Value 2
    Name: NBJ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero BackItUp\NBJ.exe"

================================================

Many thanks for your help so far.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by thxist
    For some reason, out of the blue, when I shut my computer down, an error message comes up. It says "dwwin.exe failed to intialize because the computer is shutting down." After I hit ok, a second pops up saying "drwtsn32.exe failed to initialize because windows is shutting down." Then the computer will shut down. What is going on?? I have not added any new software or anything, it just started this 2 days ago. I know drwtsn32.exe has something to do with Dr. Watson or something like that. Would someone please explain this to me and help me fix the problem? Thanx.
    I had the same problem and did this to fix the problem:

1) Click Start
    2) Click Run
    3) Type RegEdit
    4) Select Edit on top of screen
    5) Select Find
    6) Type dwwin.exe or dwwin
    7) wait 10-20 seconds
    8) Delete any Dwwin registry folders it finds
    9) No more shut down errors

This error can show up after running CCleaner or Registry cleaning software
    Last edited by ToySoldier; August 30th, 2006 at 02:27 PM.

Disabling error reporting (dwwin.exe) really isn't a good idea! This is like taking the batteries out of a smoke alarm 'cause it keeps going off. Often, a piece of software that crashes and generates an error message at shutdown is likely to be some piece of malware. A legit program may give you some message such as "ccapp is not responding" but only really poorly written (see malware) applications are likely to crash and burn at shutdown.

I'd start with running Ad Aware SE, Spybot, Ewido, and then proceed to a virus scan, and finally download and install Windows Defender.

Question drwten32.exe

hi all,
    ive got a problem with shutting down and i keep on getting eror notices: dll initialization failed. im not getting the dwwin.exe error message though. im running win 2000 sp4, and here is my hijack this log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 11:18:59 PM, on 9/02/2007
    Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\hidserv.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mouse Driver\MouseDrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
    C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LCDMon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\Applets\LCDCountdown\LCDCountdown.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\Applets\LCDPop3\LCDPOP3.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\Applets\LCDClock.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\Applets\LCDMedia.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    E:\other Stuff\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - E:\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winupdates] C:\Program Files\winupdates\winupdates.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McRegWiz] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcregwiz.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CleanUp] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Shared\mcappins.exe /v=3 /cleanup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CreativeMouse ] C:\Program Files\Mouse Driver\MouseDrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] C:\Program Files\SP\Brmfl05b\BrStDvPt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launch LGDCore] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe" /SHOWHIDE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launch LCDMon] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LCDMon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Probe] C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
    O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...r.cab31267.cab
    O16 - DPF: {03F998B2-0E00-11D3-A498-00104B6EB52E} (MetaStreamCtl Class) - https://components.viewpoint.com/MTS...uish_load.html
    O16 - DPF: {08BEF711-06DA-48B2-9534-802ECAA2E4F9} (PlxInstall Class) - https://www.plaxo.com/down/latest/PlaxoInstall.cab
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {4029B52D-5935-46B6-94F2-AB702CBE6646} (CAddressBook Object) - http://www.fillmycloset.co.uk/FAddressBook.cab
    O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/sh...3/mcinsctl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.com//PhotoUpload/MsnPUpld.cab
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/S.../bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...?1124097396546
    O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...t.cab31267.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9122D757-5A4F-4768-82C5-B4171D8556A7} (PhotoPickConvert Class) - http://appdirectory.messenger.msn.co...p/PhtPkMSN.cab
    O16 - DPF: {A1F2F2CE-06AF-483C-9F12-D3BAA72477D6} (BatchDownloader Class) - http://appdirectory.messenger.msn.co...p/DigWXMSN.cab
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/Ms...Downloader.cab
    O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/sh...20/mcgdmgr.cab
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINNT\System32\NavLogon.dll
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe

ive had a look through the rest of this thread and i cant find any definite answers on solving the problem. any help would be much appreciated

Max

Heya Max; copy and paste your HijackThis logfile to the following site and report anything they say is serious (or just take any advice received and run with it):

http://www.hijackthis.de/

Welcome to Windrivers Maxinator

Which dll is shown in the error message?

My feeling is that you have a number of anti spyware things running which may be interfering with each other.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by jay015
    I believe that "dwwin.exe" is the "Microsoft Application Error Reporting" tool. It seems that an application is causing a problem & when the error reporting tool tries to log the problem, it crashes. If you have Office 2002, it might be a component of Office causing the problems. There is nothing else I can think of. Keep us posted!
    Format you hard drive. Do not downloads windows update. I had the same problem, no more. I could not pinpoint which of the windows update is causing the problem. I downloaded SP2 and Microsoft Office 2007. Ok. the problem is with one ot the windows update. Please, let me know of you results. good luck

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winupdates] C:\Program Files\winupdates\winupdates.exe /auto

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"

These two should definately be removed.

dwwin error at shutdown

Windows XP allows a user to log on to the system as a service. The "maddening dwwin.exe shutdown error" may occur when a service is configured to log on to a user account but the user's right to log on as a service is revoked, or when the password is changed on the account that the service uses to log on, or when the user's password data in the registry is damaged. In such cases, your Event Viewer's System log will show errors from your Service Control Manager with Event IDs from 7000 to 7034. To resolve this issue, add the Local Computer Policy snap-in as described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307882 and then follow the steps described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314357 Alternatively, click Start, Run, type "gpedit.msc" (without the quotation marks) and click OK to open your Group Policy window and navigate to your Local Computer Policy and then follow the steps in the above link. Good luck.

Welcome to Windrivers Groucho. Thanks for the tips!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

dwwin error at shutdown

In addition to my previous post, it seems that setting the Machine Debug Manager service to start automatically also helps resolve this issue.

dwwin error message.

Groucho -- How do I get to the Machine Debug Service to kill this problem? It's really annoying and I think it is effecting how well my Media Center works. I am always having issue with it losing volume and freezing up on me and not being able to view certain channels.

Any help would be awesome!!

error message

I used to have a similar error with the US Robotics Modem driver (I have a modem for the occasional fax I have to send or receive.) Amazing how many people don't have a clue how to send a JPEg file or similar as an attachment on email. At any rate, I determined that the modem driver was the culprit , and as the modem worked fine, I ignored it successfully.
    Jim