XP home and active directory domains...

Thread: XP home and active directory domains...

Registered User Stanley_Kubrick's Avatar

Question XP home and active directory domains...

Didn't know if I show post this here or in the 2k forum, so MODs if you feel the need to move this topic....

Anyhoooo, I know that XP pro can join a 2000 active directory domain, and you can get a 9x box into and AD domain with the AD client app. on the 2kserver disk.
    BUT, is there any way to get an XP home box into a 2000 server Active Directory domain? Is there some sort of AD client app for xphome, or any known work-around? Or--do you just have to upgrade to xp pro and make uncle Bill richer?

Thanks for any advice, Team!
    Jesus Saves.

Gretzky recovers... He shoots... HE SCORES!!!

From what I gather XP home is a consumer based OS and it doesn't support peer to peer of more than 5 computers and can't join a domain. So unless things have changed you would need XP pro.
    "Good music makes you want to dance and kiss your girlfriend. Great music makes you want to riot and kill...."- Tom Morello, Rage Against the Machine

Try this: <a href="http://www.google.ca/search?q=cachetQszaYVuroC:www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxphdoms.htm+xp+home+domain&hl=en" target="_blank">http://www.google.ca/search?q=cachetQszaYVuroC:www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxphdoms.htm+xp+home+domain&hl=en</a>

Registered User Stanley_Kubrick's Avatar

Well, I figured as much...

So, based on the ease of running the Client install on a 95 machine, and the fact that it took less than a minute, and the additional fact that the dsclient.exe file is only 2.95 MB; I have come to the conclusion that Bill Gates/Micro$oft is the pinnacle of Greed and that there is no reason that XP home should not be able to join a domain except for the price of admission and 3MB of missing code...

Thanks for the info!
    Jesus Saves.

Gretzky recovers... He shoots... HE SCORES!!!