[RESOLVED] Advanced Properties Problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Advanced Properties Problem

Hybrid View

kenshe

Question Advanced Properties Problem

Trying to get a program inabled to run in another user account which is set to "Limited".
    My Kids account will not let them open "Photo shop" and other programs. I have tried changing the properties of the short cut to " set to run with differant credentials" but when I log on to there account and attempt to run Photo Shop, there account name is not listed in the drop down box, only my account name is listed.
    I would like to set it to where there account will open programs I allow.
    Any ideas, tricks, or solutions will be happly accepted

Thanks much

Ken

Go to the photoshop file,and right click on it.Their you'll see the options on sharing that folder under the sharing tab.

kenshe

There is no Sharing Tab under properties, Could it be that Im not using NTFS file system?

The only two Properties I have is:
    Right clicking Shortcut I get "Advance Properties"
    (Run with differant Credentials)

Right click the Short Cut and "Run as" Brings up:

Current (which is checked)
    Protect My computer
    The following user:

Has only listed "my" account and no one elses.

I believe it may be due to the fact that Im still using Fat 32???

what do you think DC, is that posible?

Ah permissions, this is a long story. Without getting into all that, try installing photoshop whilst logged on as your sprog.

No file system is not the issue.Right click on the file on the hard drive,not the shortcut.

kenshe

well DJ, I have tried that and still comes up the same. The only way both accounts will be listed in the drop down box is if I apply the other account as admin. Then will both user names will be listed, But it defeats the purpose, cause all they have do do is type in there password.
    I want to be able to keep them out of certian programs and files.
    Is there supose to be a actual "Sharing" tab?

My XP is the home addition Up grade.

Can I change or add something to the registry?

Ok the first thing:I meant to say go to C:\program files\photoshop and right click the file.There you should see the sharing tab.The second thing:I created an account named John Doe.Logged on as John Doe.Went to the photoshop short cut.Yes you'll have to grant admin rights to that folder.But you'll have to put in the password for access.Or what else you can do is copy the folder to the "My Documents" folder(when you're logged on).That is another way for the kids to access the folder.Don't mess with the registry,it's an innocent bystander in this case.

Check out this program that I found on Windrivers main page. <a href="http://www.windrivers.com/utility/daily/110101.htm" target="_blank">Clik Here</a> With it you could enable the account as admin and then just require a password to access the programs that you don't want them to access.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

kenshe

well. I have tried all that I could try, Nothing seems to work, I didnt creat another account as you suggested cause I dont want them to have admin prives. And I really dont want to reinstall it and find out it doesnt work either. So Im going give it a rest and attempt it later.

I have a bigger problem with Direct Cd Im trying to work around, I downloaded the 5.0 trial ver and the stupid thing wont reconize my Cd Rom drive. So I have to use the burner for both.
    Roxio is not even ready for XP, then We HAVE to upgrade for another 80 bucks, and Gateway doesnt have any Drivers! I knew I should have waited, But the free memory and music lured me in!
    Here is another I have never seen before.. when I put a burned Cd in (buner drive)and read the contents, then take the cd out and put a blank into it and bring up explorer to read the content... it should read NOTHING right? No.. it reads what I last had in it.. and you cant refresh to get rid of it???
    Im telling you.. I hate Bill Gates!

Anyway, I will work on the later another time, but thanks for the help, I have it printed, I will try it......And yes I did look at the program you found Gollo, Not sure about doing anything with second party programs just yet, need to solve these problems first before I add another.

kenshe

Buy the way.... I hate Bill only because He never makes sure others are ready for it also... You know Drivers, core programs (like Burner software)and the rest.
    But other than these problems.. I thing the system is a hell of a lot more stable and most asuredly.. Faster!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kenshe:
    well. I have tried all that I could try, Nothing seems to work, I didnt creat another account as you suggested cause I dont want them to have admin prives. And I really dont want to reinstall it and find out it doesnt work either. So Im going give it a rest and attempt it later.

I have a bigger problem with Direct Cd Im trying to work around, I downloaded the 5.0 trial ver and the stupid thing wont reconize my Cd Rom drive. So I have to use the burner for both.
    Roxio is not even ready for XP, then We HAVE to upgrade for another 80 bucks, and Gateway doesnt have any Drivers! I knew I should have waited, But the free memory and music lured me in!
    Here is another I have never seen before.. when I put a burned Cd in (buner drive)and read the contents, then take the cd out and put a blank into it and bring up explorer to read the content... it should read NOTHING right? No.. it reads what I last had in it.. and you cant refresh to get rid of it???
    Im telling you.. I hate Bill Gates!

Anyway, I will work on the later another time, but thanks for the help, I have it printed, I will try it......And yes I did look at the program you found Gollo, Not sure about doing anything with second party programs just yet, need to solve these problems first before I add another.

No i didn't mean add an account.I did it to simulate your problem.My kids have their own machines(got tired of kermit bouncing all over the place).And looking at my last post(mistake),I meant to say,copy photoshop to the shared documents folder.Thats probably the easiest way to do it.Enable dma for the cdrom,and the burner(if it's supported).

kenshe

I understood, That didnt work either, only if I have both accounts set as admin will both be listed in the drop down in "Run As"

Cd Rom does not have a DMA setting in the device manager, It only has "Didital Cd playback" box. I do believe Win98 did have a dma option.

maybe because my Multimedia controller is in error due to no drivers available is causeing the Cd Rom problem.

These are the only two problems I am not able to solve

DJSEARCHING
    Roxio has several patches for the burn prog...haven't tried them yet but they are on their site. Will try later on today and let you know
    Don't tell me where to got, they already kicked me out...said I was a bad influence

Just a quick note about the DMA settings in XP. If you want to enable DMA mode on your CDROM or Hard Disks you have to make the changes in the properties TAB on the IDE controller itself, not the device that is attached to it. Double click on the IDE controller either Primary or Secondary from the Device Manager and select the advanced Tab. Set the transfer mode to "DMA if available".

kenshe

About the DMA settings, I have already done that with no change. When I slip a burned Cd into it, then change to another CD, the previous cd name and contents are still there, will not read the second Cd unless I reboot. Any other possible causes or fixes??
    My Primary IDE Channel
    Device 0 Is "PIO"
    Device 1 is "Not Applicable"

Secondary IDE
    Device 0 is in "Multi-word DMA mode 2"
    Device 1 is the same

I have a Cd Rom DVD device
    I have a CD Burner device
    I have 2 Hard drives
    I have a Zip drive, and a Floppy
    Promise card for running the hard drives (lack of slots)
    On my 4 year old Gateway 400.

Everything worked great before XP (was running 98)
    Havent tried a HAMMER yet!