WinXP OEM installs

Thread: WinXP OEM installs

Question WinXP OEM installs

I'm working at a small shop and we just started selling machines with XP on them. The ones we have sold already were custom builds and were taken by the customer to be activated. The boss wants me to put a machine together to put on display, but what if the machine don't sell for 30 days? Would I have to format and reinstall? I just want to put a running machine on display. How do I do it?
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

Why not just activate it? It doesnt take any personal info, if you make a major hardware change to it before selling it you'll just have to make a quick call to MS to get it going again.

If you don't want to activate them and rather let the end user do so, just set the clock back in teh BIOS every day to the installation date. As long as you haven't got the Auto Synch Clock enabled and conected to the net with them you should be ok.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

I think what you are asking is, is it possible to activate XP, then de-activate it when the customer comes to pick up the PC, so they have to activate it themselves. The system clock idea, although conceivable, is not a reasonable solution if you should forget to do it on the 30th day. Unless reseting it in the BIOS will still fool the OS after the activation is required, (this I don't know).

MS has a fine solution, although I don't think it was meant to be for this; but it just might work for you. Check this article out:
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q302/7/40.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=activation&rnk=13&src=DHCS_MSPSS _gn_SRCH&SPR=WINXP" target="_blank">Running Repair on Windows XP Requires the User to Re-Activate the Product</a>

You may not need to run the repair; perhaps restoring a saved pre-activation Wpa.dbl file in place of the post-activation file should do the opposite of what is described in the article. Why don't you test this out, and let us know how it works...

For some reason it did not occur to me that I could just activate it. My customers might be glad they don't have to deal with activation. I don't think it violates the EULA does it?

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to me activating a machine that is on display? It seems to me that this might be the best way.

I was kinda' hoping that you would try my above suggestion about the Wpa.dbl file, as I don't have access to XP yet to attempt it.

As far as the End User License Agreement (is that what EULA stands for), never assume! Read the fine print, and contact MS if you are unclear about any of it. Personally, I think the customer should confirm all license agreements, activate products, and register on his own as well. It may seem like a real tangle for those that don't want to do it, but in the long run it teaches them a little about their system, and gets them on line with MS. They might find learning centers and the knowledge base. That will keep you from having to handle all of those annoying free support calls!

If you're an OEM, call MS and they should have info on how to do this.

I backed up the preactivation wpa.dbl file and activated. Then I replaced the post-activated wpa.dbl file with the pre-activation wpa.dbl file and sure enough the 30 day activation warning came up. I then restored to post-activation wpa.dbl and the activation ballon has not popped up. How do I check activation status?

I just wanted to extend my appreciation, thanks for testing this for us. I wish I could answer your question about activation status.

You should be able to click on "activate windows" and it should say "product activated" I believe.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Under system tools - active windows. Docpc is right.

I still dont know if it is better to activate for the customer or let them do it.

Thanks for the replys.

[quote]Originally posted by Kenteth420:
    <strong>Why not just activate it? It doesnt take any personal info, if you make a major hardware change to it before selling it you'll just have to make a quick call to MS to get it going again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

[quote]Originally posted by jimmm33:
    <strong>I'm working at a small shop and we just started selling machines with XP on them. The ones we have sold already were custom builds and were taken by the customer to be activated. The boss wants me to put a machine together to put on display, but what if the machine don't sell for 30 days? Would I have to format and reinstall? I just want to put a running machine on display. How do I do it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have to disagree with the reply below. I too own a small Computer Store in the Midwest. Recently we loaded a system and activated the XP home edition. Then to our surprise the Hard drive took a crap. Within hours we had it back up with a new drive. I had decided to call Microsoft to ask about Re-activating the software. (because it ask to activate on install) again. This is what they said.....
    First they asked me where i got it because i called them 2 days before it was released. ( They where very rude and treated me like a theif) I told them it was OEM and I was a registered Microsoft Reseller. They said that the (First Hard Drive that it went on it was married to) being that it was OEM software. He instructed me to throw it away. I told him to kiss my *** ! We now have takin all 12 XP OEM LEGAL disc's and put them away. I refuse to sell any more of their **** until my letter is replyed to that I sent them. And as far as the ACTIVATION. Never mind Bill. Its been done.