[RESOLVED] Network Printers

Thread: [RESOLVED] Network Printers

Delbruc

Resolved [RESOLVED] Network Printers

Question: I would like to install different drivers for one network printer, but when I select the queue to install another driver type XP automatically grabs the installed driver without anyway to change it in the properties...
    Is there a way to install different sets of drivers for the same network printer?

Del

Delbruc

Just to update... This is a Novell Netware 5 server...

How about just creating a new printer pointing to the same queue but using the drivers you want?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I actually beat MacGyver to this one..... Ahh netware, the memories of so much administration....

Anyway, coupla questions to ask:

What kind of printer are you using?
    Is it attached with JetDirect, Axis, etc?
    Do you have the most recent version of the Netware client installed? (maybe not, did Novell release a NW client for XP yet?)
    Is this a NDPS printer?
    Do you have the objects for the Printer, Print Server, and Print Queue in the same context?

Here's a possible solution though....
    Go into printers and faxes, get to the properties page of your printer you want the different driver for. Click advanced, and choose new driver. select the new driver, and click ok. Now, remember, the printer name wont change, since you simply changed the driver.
    Good old NetWare 3.11... if only modern O/Ss were made of the same stuff. Forget Windows 2000 for 99.999% uptime, this one had it ten years ago.

Actually, I didn't answer this one because I don't know much about XP. But I do know that Novell has NOT released a client that will work on XP - yet. No exact release date, either. The included "MS client for Netware" with XP will give you basic NetWare functionality, but don't expect all the bells and whistles you'd get with the Novell version.

My feelings is that this is an OS problem and not a Netware problem. Unless he is running printer policies or NDPS on his Netware box, then it's a different story...

Talking

Its cool man, My advice was going to be just to install a new printer and use the drivers he wants for that one, and just switch back and forth...

as for all the questions on the netware server side, I'm always curious for people's netware specs...
    Good old NetWare 3.11... if only modern O/Ss were made of the same stuff. Forget Windows 2000 for 99.999% uptime, this one had it ten years ago.

Delbruc

Thanks for the replys all...

Actually I had thought of that already - Simply install a new (local) printer with the driver I want (PCL6,5e,PS or what have you...)and then change the port to one on the network. I have gotten this to work but I wanted to show how to duplicate this so I deleted the printers I created and tried again with a different printer. When I get to the part where I select the new port and click apply up pops a dialog that states "Printer setting could not be saved. Operation could not be completed." This only happens when I try to select one particular port, but here's the kicker, my co-hort gets the same error but on a different port...

I'm thinking it may be driver related... but i've got some more testing to do, I'll let you know how that goes...

the printers in quesiton are HP LJ 4000 and 2100 both of which I had working properly at one point.
    They are on jetdirect print servers (4000 is internal the other is an EX Plus)
    MacGuyver was right about the client version - N/A at this point (there is a beta but my co-hort is using and still getting the same problem...)
    All in the same context..

Thank you for your help...

Delbruc

Also, to make this clear(er), I did try to simply change the driver under the Advanced tab and I simply received the error box that I mentioned above...