CS: Setting UP a LAN - Internet Game

Thread: CS: Setting UP a LAN - Internet Game

Post CS: Setting UP a LAN - Internet Game

is it possible to and how would one go about setting up a counter-strike over a LAN with internet users being able to join on a linksys 4 port router?

Hey
    just run the game, people on the lan connect to the lan ip, people outside connect to your internet IP..

you have to forward some ports for half life on your router so they are outside accessable
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"

thanks for the suggestion. i've tried that before and the error message 'internet people' get is a "lan restricted" game. is there any other detail that i have left out?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Gearbox:
    <strong>is it possible to and how would one go about setting up a counter-strike over a LAN with internet users being able to join on a linksys 4 port router?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=53;t=000037" target="_blank">Look on this post for four links halfway down.</a>

I found some AWESOME info about the Linksys router on those pages.
    If it aint broke, TWEAK it!
    When in doubt, throw it out!!

Also make when u run the game,

add this to your shortcut +sv_lan 0
    it will set it to an internet game.
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"

ALSO you need to set the pc that is going to be the gateway to the internet under the advanced setup... the DMZ section.

I got the Linksys 4 port and I had to set the DMZ ip address of the one I had a FTP server set up on.

or if you want to go big..

download the hlds server (its the halflife server)
    then install cs on it, run it, then you have a full deticaded cs server running

+Daemon+, I'll try that out sometime.

After digging around the net, I got what I was trying to do to work but it's kinda still a hassle.

To the DMZ suggestion, it is not recommended because it's a security risk -- it opens all your ports up. Whether it actually helps or not, the following ports have been forwarded:
    27015,27012,27010 UDP protocol.

And WAN blocking disabled.

For the host PC, I went to net games. When I am in the game, I have to type sv_lan 1 allow the LAN clients to connect and then I change it to sv_lan 0 to let the Internet clients in. In other words I have to be the gate keeper.

I'll try the adding '+' sv_lan to see if that helps.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Gearbox:
    <strong>+Daemon+, I'll try that out sometime.

After digging around the net, I got what I was trying to do to work but it's kinda still a hassle.

To the DMZ suggestion, it is not recommended because it's a security risk -- it opens all your ports up. Whether it actually helps or not, the following ports have been forwarded:
    27015,27012,27010 UDP protocol.

And WAN blocking disabled.

For the host PC, I went to net games. When I am in the game, I have to type sv_lan 1 allow the LAN clients to connect and then I change it to sv_lan 0 to let the Internet clients in. In other words I have to be the gate keeper.

I'll try the adding '+' sv_lan to see if that helps.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was just going by what my Linksys 4 port Router instruction book says... if you are gonna host a game server, you give the ip address of the one hosting the game in the DMZ setting.

It worked fine for me without one moment of a security risk according to my firewall.

Here's the final update.

So far the only way to bring internet clients into a LAN game is to "control the door" with the sv_lan 0 or 1 setting. [When set to 0 only internet clients may join and LAN clients when set to 1]. Although a hassle, I am satisfied that it is possible (to have internet and LAN clients).

Why am I doing this? Because I have 5 PCs on a LAN with 2 CD Keys and I want my buddies to join from their homes without having a LAN party.

With regard to DMZ, I still recommend port forwarding if you can. The manual is instructing us to use DMZ because it's the only way to cover all the different combination of ports used by different games; and that's by opening all the ports up.