Serial port mouse detection

Thread: Serial port mouse detection

Serial port mouse detection

W2000 and NT4 are both bad at detecting the presence of a serial port mouse. I have 3 of them and some are possible better than others. Why can't the OS just load the driver without detecting a mouse like other versions of Windows do? Is a ps2 mouse any better at being detected? If so I could put a different plug on a mouse. I have had no trouble with a ps2 mouse on another computer.

Fraser.

Banned
    is it worth your time with soldering new plugs , and mucking about ?

mice @ £1.50p @ http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-se...d=asc&stab=ref

also can u suggest a supplier of ps2 plugs coz i,m trying to make some leads up for a "black box" serve switch ,,,

maplins have ps2-ps2 leads @ £5.00 ,,,,but i,ve got loads of dead mice , so i just need a couple of ps2 plugs

FtF

Can't say I have ever tried a serial mouse on Win2k. A ps2 should be picked up without a problem. I would suggest that or possibly USB if you have a connection avaliable.
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

Maplin have the plug, its a mini din 6 way, JX04, 99p. Quite a lot less than the mouse adaptors for £5. I've got an adaptor but it is the opposite kind but it will do to show how to wire up.

Fraser.

How old are the machines that you are using? Just a curiois question. I would have to say that if the machines have a PS/2 port use a PS/2 mouse and put the serial port mice in the old hardware museum!
    Sooouuuushi!

I've only tried the serial port mice on one computer, a socket 7 with a top speed of 425Mhz. It has a new K6-2 450Mhz utilising the 2x which is effectively 6x. I will be trying a ps2 plug on a mouse. I haven't had any trouble with my ps2 cordless mouse.

SP3 makes W2000 detect a ps2 keyboard or mouse if plugged in when windows is running. Could be useful for games. I'm not having any trouble with the serial port mouse now.

Fraser.

This is the last time I'm posting on this. PS2 mouse detection is much better. I haven't had any success with the new hot plugging of ps2 port devices.

Fraser.