Corrupt scanner driver

Thread: Corrupt scanner driver

Unhappy Corrupt scanner driver

Hey guys!

I have been trying to install an Acerscan (SCSI) scanner, using a driver called MiraScan on WinXP, but the driver was appearently too old (worked fine with WinME). So I tried to uninstall it but couldn't? (Said: need uninst.isu)

Anywho I dl the newest version of MiraScan instead and tried to install this on top of the old one, but it still didn't work!?
    Then I asked the driver vendor (BenQ) about what to do and they replied that the driver file was probably corrupted so I had to reinstall WinXP! As this seems to be quite a drastic step because of one lousy driver, I asked if there wasn't any other options, since I have a lot of apps installed, but they just replied that the only thing else to do was to find and remove the registry keys for the corrupted driver and then install the new one! Of course my next question was wich keys I had to find and remove, but they didn't know??...they created it, and now they don't know what keys it generates?

Can anybody tell me what to do, please?

did you use an installer to install this driver/application? or did you manually install the driver via an inf file? If you installed is via an executable you may be able to reinstall the driver using the compatability wizard found under:
    Start:Programs:Accessories:Program Compatability Wizard
    Install it using Windows 98 compatability. Then using the Wizard again, you should be able to remove the app.

If it is just a driver that you install you should be able to update the driver. If not then you can search the registry for the name of the device and remove it manually.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks alot, I really appreciate it! )

Make sure this driver is XP compatable. You have to be really careful with XP and 2K on what drivers you install, you can kill you're system pretty quickly. I've had some problems with MiraScan on windows 2K before, so, as always be careful. If you don't have XP compatable drivers, I'd back off.

Yes, I found out afterwards that the driver was to old, but it still seems pretty weird, that one stupid driver can mess up your system so good that you have to completely reinstall!

I also find it somewhat questionable that the driver manufacturer, doesn't have an emergency rescue procedure/program or even knows which reg-keys to remove manually!

Mirascan drivers seem to be causing a lot of problems with xp..guess it only likes usb scanners. If you set a system restore point before installing the new drivers, you can just do a system rollback from start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore