the s...stuff I can't stand....

Thread: the s...stuff I can't stand....

Thumbs down the s...stuff I can't stand....

please excuse me while I rant, feel free to add comments/experiences....

Ok, first things first. I was hired as a co-op to do helpdesk stuff (answer calls, fire out emails, help people fix stuff) -- then I morphed to IT slowly ...ever so slowly. Now deeply entrenched as one of the few, the proud, I enjoy the increased stress level (its good stress) and the insane work load. I can deal with this...

[rant]

What I cannot stand is the helpdesks BS. I have about 3 hours everyday that is working hours. I usually get done what I can while people are there, but for the most part, that isnt much (expecially if 1 call lasts 4 1/2 hours)

Well, the putz over there send me calls ...allow me to paste one....
    8/5/2002 1:21:49 PM, Logged by: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXX needs to have this PC set-up today.
    yea, thats great but uh, I can't call them today cheif. And who looks bad?! ME. they do this almost every other day, and its really REALLY gettin on my nerves.

Its bad enough that I have to show them little things (resetting the pw for pcanywhere) -- freakin FUN.

[/rant]

ok....I'm better now

Here. Have one of these. You'll feel better. It's on me...

Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
    Here. Have one of these. You'll feel better. It's on me...

hhhmmmmmmmm......there's an idea

Heh, thats when the little sign that says :
    "A lack of organsiation on your behalf, does not constitute an emergancy on my behalf"
    comes in really handy..

What you need is a manager that understands that they don't give you the resources to pull machines fully built and preconfigured at the drop of a hat, and will tell people that when they bitch.
    *sigh* I used to have a manager like that.

One tip (that you may not be able to do..) I have for you is to spend a couple of your weekends building and setting up a scripted install server.

Stick a floppy in, it boots off the floppy and reaches across the network to tell a networked server that it wants "blah" OS and these 20 different apps installed.

Research it... its not that hard to do and will save you
    SH!TL0ADS of time and effort.

Its better than ghost or similiar cause its doesn't care what hardware you have...
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

my manager understands that, but IT and HD are different 'factions' -- which in other words, doesn't stop them from doing this $@^* all the time. He's yelled at 'em about doin that crap and they also send me really really STUPID calls, example ... the subject of the call would be "checking on status of PC" and in the call would be personX wants to know when their computer will be ready ....

I can't make a script....they're off site, and they wouldn't be able to figure it out (we take stuff off their old comp)

I feel for you Fubarian, really - I do.

In my current job I've been passed around from Helpdesk Coordinator to Helpdesk Analyst to IT Tech on special projects. I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing when I get back from sick leave.

What I usually did when facing a situation like that was to let my superior know that I was calling back the client to explain that their service call was placed in a priority pool and that there was no way for us to do the work the helpdesk staff had assigned to be done that same day.

I tiuptoed around actually saying outright "They don't know what they're doing", but the client usually got the general idea.

We now have a calendar for installs/outside interventions where clients are added on a first come-first served basis. It's not the best, but it works.

If Wild Turkey doesn't do it, try either an antacid or a LART.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams