Toshiba laptop/Win95 blues - help

Thread: Toshiba laptop/Win95 blues - help

Toshiba laptop/Win95 blues - help

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 465CDX with Win 95 on it. My friend got it used. The floppy adaptor was not included, only the CD drive.

So, we were trying to get his internet account setup on it. It has an internal built in modem, but I cannot get the drivers loaded, because of no floppy (a CDR disk wouldn't read either).

I have tried a external modem, it installs fine, get a diagnostics response from it, but when I try to dial, it brings up a window that says another program is using the modem and I should close it first. I cannot find another running application that I think would be running the modem.

So, I also tried a PCMCIA modem. It detected, I get a diagnostics response from the modem, but when I try to dial it says the modem cannot be detected.

Now, after a reboot, I immediately get this message:

EMM386 has detected error #c3 in an application at memory address 00b8:241e. TO minimize the chance of data loss, EMM386 has halted your computer. To restart press ENTER.

This system will not do anything. I am in an endless loop.

Please help,

Al

for the emm error, take out any memory upgrades that may be in the system. there should be 2 screws on the bottom that hold a panel closed, this is where the memory will be.

as for needing a floppy, the unit has usb ports, so go pick up a usb floppy drive for it. If your friend recieved the origional restore cd for it, just pop it into the cd-rom drive and turn the unit off. hold the "C" key and power the unit up, this will force a cd-rom boot.

If no restore cd is available, start checking for other programs that may be using the modem like winfax.

This laptop does not have any doors or panels for the memory that I can find.

Any other suggestions?

don't have adobe installed on this system, but here's a link

http://www.kingston.com/support/inst...iba/KTT430.PDF

ok, according the the pdf its under the palm rest, not on the bottom of the notebook like most of the newer models. just follow the instructions and you should be good to go.

Since EMM386 is an Upper Memory Block manager, I would think that you either have devices loading, or TSR's loading in upper memory, or have a bad primary memory chip. I can't for the life of me remember if that particular Toshiba had a built in chip or not for the first few megs of memory, but if it does, you might be able to access the BIOS and set aside that address.