Hi guys,

Well I just recently upgraded my system to the following:

Epox 8KHA+
    Volcano 7+ Fan/Heat sink
    Athlon 1800 XP
    Corsair 512MB DDR 2100
    CompUSA (PowMAX Brand) 500w PSU
    Running Windows XP Pro

After I received the parts I put it together approximately one week ago, did a repair with Windows XP pro and everything was fine. PC remained on while I was away for 5.5 days with no problems. Case temperature is only about 88° F and the CPU temp is around 109° F both which are very cool.

Yesterday when I returned home from work my PC was shut off completely. There was no power outage as my older PC was still running fine. I was not able to power the PC back on. I had to shutoff the PSU (switch on back), then pull the plug and wait two minutes. Finally after putting the plug back in and turning on the switches the PC booted fine. Now this morning when I woke up the same thing happened. PC shutoff, had to remove plug and turn it back on. Everything is fine as far at the temperatures, very cool inside. I have checked the Event Viewer and found no entries out of the ordinary.

What could be causing these sudden power-offs? I have checked the BIOS settings and there are no auto-poweroff settings enabled (i.e. high temperature, etc.). The PSU is only about 40 days old, so I highly doubt that is the problem. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what could be going on here? Thank you for your help.

I have seen this with bad ATX power supplies. I would send it back or try another one to see if it resolves the issue.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I'd agree with the PSU recomendation also, and I'd change it quick just to make sure you dont fry another parts in the machine
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Same thought here. I've seen Many a PS with this problem.

Not to mention PowMax is total junk.......

They come in some cheap cases that we use and I end up RMA'ing every 3rd PSU.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Sounds like PSU is problematic to me... It doesn't matter, what it is 500Wt PSU - even 500Wt PSU can be junk (especially if it was cheap case/PSU combo)...
    Last edited by Ruslan; August 14th, 2002 at 02:00 PM.