Very weird hard drive problems

Thread: Very weird hard drive problems

Post Very weird hard drive problems

I just got a 2GB Toshiba hard drive for my handheld PC. It works great until I turn off my handheld or restart windows, then it says the disk is not formatted. If I wait a few hours for the drive to cool down and put it back in it detects it and works great.

When the drive actually does work, I can copy files from the handheld's storage memory or flash card to the hard drive with no problems, but if I try to copy from my desktop to the hard drive in the handheld directly over the network connection, I hear the disk spin up, then after a few seconds it says "A device attached to the system is not functioning".

Is my drive damaged? Would formating it in a laptop fix it or does this sound like a hardware problem?

The drive is ATA66, 4200RPM, 15ms seek time, 2GB (may not sound good, but for a hard drive the size of a credit card it's amazing!)

Thanks
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

Most likely Your harddrive has serious problem -probably bad sectors on surface.And most likely they are "sector's ID not found" or (worst case) "command aborted" errors. These errors usually cause that weird behavior of hard drive...

Try to fix that harddrive using scandisk first...

My drive has been working fine now for 4 days. Is it still possible the drive is damaged even though it's been working for 4 days?

Is there a program that could check the drive and the controller chips and everything to make sure it's not damaged at all?

Thanks
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

As I have already said, run scandisk... At least,it's safest utility...
    Scandisk can find bad sectors and mark them as unusable and thus,prevent from further using.
    If during test from time to time scandisk stop for second or more - definately Your harddrive will have problems soon...
    You can visit manufacturer's site also. So far as I know,every manufacturer do have own test and/or repair utility,what checking drive's health.