Hookup Video card to TV?

Thread: Hookup Video card to TV?

Question Hookup Video card to TV?

Sys specs:
    AMD Athlon XP 1800
    Asus A7V333
    nVida Chaintech 128 Ti4600 w/tv out + Dvi/out
    256 ddr ram pc-2100

Hi, I’m not too experienced with the latest video cards and I just bought the new Ti4600 card. Now it has the TV out as S-Video. My TV dosnt have the S-Video hookup but does have the three RCA hookups. So I got a S-Video to RCA converter. I hooked up the converter to the s-video on my video card; then one end of the RCA video line to the s-video to RCA converter. Then, the other end of the RCA cable to my TV.

So I turned on my TV and switched it to Video mode (tv/video button) and started up my computer. The TV stayed black and did not show any Video of my Desktop or anything. I know I had the right RCA cord hooked up to the Video line in the back of my TV. The RCA cord type was Video cause I just used the one I use for my VCR.

Do I have to configure or install some programs in order to hook up my video card to my TV? Can anyone give me any suggestions or advise? This is my first time doing this cause I had a 4mb ATI onboard crap video card before and this new card is just blowing me away!!

Thnx for any help you can provide.

Oh, and DVI out, what the heck can I do with that? DVD? Couldn’t I just play the dvd on my computer and watch it on my TV with the S-Video?
    Last edited by PacMan; September 1st, 2002 at 01:33 AM.

OK- first of all when you hooked up the s-video out did you still have a desktop on your monitor? If yes you haven't told the software to output to s-video. Assuming you have the full driver suite installed for your video card, right click the desktop, properties, settings tab, advanced button... you should find all the set ups in there.

The video card should come with a manual either on the driver cd or a hard copy... go through this and check the steps you need to take.

The DVi out, if I understand you correctly is for output to a digital monitor.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    You must tell the card which display to use, do this by right clicking on the desktop and going to properties then to the settings tab, then to the advanced button. IF you have the newer nvidia drivers (www.nvidia.com) you will see an "Nview" tab, go there and select your device. Just be warned that TV's are very low res and its gonna be blurry....just a heads up so you dont think anythings wrong
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Whoops, forgot to add, the DVI is generally used for flat panel displays, but you cna get a DVI to VGA adapter thus allowing you to run dual monitors
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Thanks for the help guys!!

Ok yeah, I do have the nView tab in advanced properties. Now here, it tells me I can hook it up for analog, digital, or TV. So I tried to change the Display and only the nView Display 1: Analog Display is available to choose from. Same for when I go to [device settings and then select output device[/b]. The TV and Digital options are there, but are grayed out. I’m guessing that once I hook it up to the TV, the TV options will be available to me? I’m gonna give it a try. THANX AGAIN GUYS!!!!

Ok, I hooked it up to the TV and stated my computer. I went into the nView tab and I was able to set it to TV mode. After setting it to that, the pc monitor and TV started to “blink” a couple of times(applying the settings) in a black screen and then the pc monitor came back to normal with the TV still in black video mode. I tried setting it on NTSC (United States). I also tried setting it on “clone” mode as well. Any Ideas guys?

Try connecting the TV to the card and restarting, it should either detect the TV and use it, or allow you to select it. Also, you may want to consider updating to hte latest nvidia drivers here www.nvidia.com

You should also try changing the resolution to 800X600 for the t.v. to start off with as anything higher may not work properly.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov