Windows 2000 screen savers

Thread: Windows 2000 screen savers

Windows 2000 screen savers

I have a system here that just one day it did not like screen savers. The windows default screen savers wont start or preview. Is there a way to reinstall them? i have never had this happen. Any help would be good. Also all the latest updates are on the system and up to date virus software. Problem was there before updates. Thanks

windows 2000

ahh...do a search for the following files *.scr those are the screen savers they should be located in the \windows directory.....there is a chance that the end user deleted those files....

in winxp (that's what i just tested, the files are located in both \windows, and \windows\system32)...i was able to change the fiel extension of my ud.scr to ud.s and it would not show up as an option for screensaver, close the display window.. changed the name back to ud.scr and i reopened the display properties and the ud screensaver was there..

i don't think that u have to install....

good luck
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

thanks for you help i did do a search and the files are in both places. They show up in the list but just nothing going. also you should see them move in the small preview box and just a .bmp icon shows up. I think that the reg is the problem that it has lost mapping to where the files are. What do you think. thanks for your help

search the registry under hkey_user for SCRNSAVE.EXE you'll find it several times, one of them will be in the default location and it should say something like logon.scr in the data field.
    Continue looking until you find one with the following data field: %systemroot%\system32\whatever the screensaver is.scr it should be in one of the S-1-5-21XXXXXX entries under control panel\desktop
    if you do not find this entry make sure you have actually selected a screensaver, if you do make sure it has the proper path like the one above.

Crazyman: the aquarium screensaver uses direct3d make sure your using video drivers that support it, I have several win2k boxes running this screensaver without a hitch.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water