System Builder Question... Windows XP Licensing & Activation Question

Thread: System Builder Question... Windows XP Licensing & Activation Question

System Builder Question... Windows XP Licensing & Activation Question

I know lots of system builders frequent Tech-To-Tech. I'm not sure if this is the correct Forum for this question, please advise if it would be better posted elsewhere.

My question is regarding Windows XP licensing & the activation process. I want to build a system that I will sell locally. I would like to sell it with Windows XP Home installed. I have both the OEM & the Upgrade CD purchased for other systems. (In other words, the associated license is already used & activated on other systems) I have a source to purchase "XP Home" licenses without media. These Licenses are strictly legal & in compliance with Microsoft’s EULA. They include a hologram sticker with Product Key that is meant to be affixed to the PC. Here's the catch; I don't want to buy the license till I sell the system. What I need to know is can I install XP Home using the OEM CD that I already have, using the Product Key that came with it, then enter the new information once the license is purchased without activating it after the original installation. Then it could be "Activated" with the newly purchased license. The goal here is to permit me to build the system & have it ready to sell & demonstrate to a prospective buyer before I purchase a license.

I think there may be something called a "SysPrep" utility that permits this. Some vendors have their PCs set up such that when you first turn them on, the end user is required to enter their Product Key & User Information.

Let me make it perfectly clear, that I am NOT trying to bypass or defeat licensing & activation! I fully intend for the system to have a legal, EULA compliant license when it sells.

I appreciate any & all advice.

Thanks!

Bingo!

This is exactly what I need! It lets you install the XP using whatever Product Key you want, then you use the "sysprep" utility to manually restore the computer to an end–user–ready state. This will prompt the end user to enter their Product Key & User Information. It strips the SID I believe.

I will try this & post the results here. The worst that can happen is I have to blow away the installation & start again.

Sysprep is the way I have been doing it for about 8 months. Works great! You can also add programs such as office in the prep if you have several boxes needing the same load. Multicasting with Norton Ghost works well for that
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

In my case it's always one or two systems & they are very different systems hardware wise. So a standardized image is not possible (At work we use RIS with Active Directory to make images of our standard hardware configuration).

I just need the ability to install XP before I have the license, install apps, drivers, perform all Windows Updates, etc. Then apply the license & activate it. I think Sysprep will allow this.

RIS is ok too.....not hardware specific.

Sysprep is just what you are looking for......
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!