a lil wireless snafu

Thread: a lil wireless snafu

a lil wireless snafu

alright, i've tried the local shop with the problem and they were not helpful, so i bring it here I have 2 buildings (lets call them A and B) the 2 buildings are wired internally, but i want to connect the 2 networks. The only problem is that the space between them is a park and i am not able to run wiring. Is it possible to find an affordable wireless solution? like would 2 wireless routers be able to communicate to connect these 2 networks? the main reason is to share the single internet connection that enters building A. Or even a point to point wireless solution, its not imperative to use routers. thanks for any help.
    IRC is just multiplayer notepad

The only limit here is budget.

I've evaluated some wireless solutions in the past and microwaves seemed to be the best "ban for the buck". We needed to have 100 MBps minimum throughput and the buildings were in line-of-sight, so that was great.

But I'm guessing this is overkill for what you imply you need it for.

How about just an AP and some 802.11b or 802.11a router/switches on each side? That should be enough to share an Internet connection.

Take into consideration that if you must have user authentification and logon scripts running on this network that this will quickly become a bottleneck in the mornings when users come in.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

How much distance is between the two buildings? (You could be downtown NY for all we know and a "park" could be central park ). If it's only a couple of hundred feet this can be done quite simply and cheeply. I would check here at Netstumbler. These guys make anntennas and live and breath 802.11b. They can point you in the right direction. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

If its mainly for internet access.. then go buy two linksys Wireless Access Points (which model depends on how far apart they are and if you have to transmit through walls...)
    The 54 mb version is a lot faster but you get less range..
    11mb version has a much larger range..

(BTW the 11mb version will not transmit at 11mb, due to protocol overheads the max throughput is about 7.66mb/sec but thats plenty for internet..).

Set them up for bridge mode, lock in the mac addresses and use 256bit encryption.

Its pretty easy to do.. the lynksys WAPs are damn easy to setup, are very reliable and look pretty sexy (oh, they fairly cheap too)

If that measure of security is not enough for you, you might want to go for a different brand.. but then you'll start paying out BIG BUCKS (i.e. 400%+ more).

Linksys are also great cause they have external interfaces that you can hook up to outdoor antenna's if you really need to.. Very good products.. we use them alot..
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

the distance is only around 80 feet. its such a small distance its really an annoyance. the linksys APs sound like a reasonable and easy. how far could you get while still using 54mbps? I heard 11mb was something around 1000 ft.
    IRC is just multiplayer notepad