Silent Volcano 9 Cooler fan
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Silent Volcano 9 Cooler fan

Thumbs down Silent Volcano 9 Cooler fan

Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I think it’s the closest I can get..

I just received my ThermalTake Silent Volcano 9 Cooler and installed it on my AMD Athlon XP 1800. Soon as I started my Tower up, the sound was louder than the plastic fan which came with the cpu. They say it is supposed to be “silent”. Oh, and “smart”. What do they mean smart? The little sensor that doesn’t do a thing or the little controller where you can speed up the fan or slow it down? I don’t know, did I just get a bad fan? Does anyone else have one of these things?

Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

Thnx for reading.

I have two with the LED mod . Anyway I LOVE them. What kind of thermal compound did you use with them.
    Last edited by GokuSS2; September 29th, 2002 at 01:49 AM.
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    At the highest fan speed the hsf is rated at 48dba. This is not "slilent". this is in fact slightly noisier than the oem fan that is packaged with Athlon xp 2000+. However for a high performance hsf which the volcano 9 is this is a quiet fan. If you check the faqs on this hsf there are two ways to run it. You can attach the heat sensor and remove a jumper and the fan will run from 1300 to 6000 rpm depending on the cpu temp. At 1300 it should be pretty quiet (while not "silent"). This mode is the "smart" mode. You can also choose to jumper it so you can manually select a fan speed. Since I don't know how loud your hsf is I can only tell you my experience with the Vocano 7+. At the highest speed you can manually set (6000rpm) it will make more noise than than a stock fan. At the slowest speed 3000 rpm (for this hsf, yours can go as low as 1300) it is very quiet, in fact quieter than than the stock hsf.

IF you really want a quiet fan get one that is below 40dba. 35 is better. If you check the web you can even find them at 22dba. The ones at 48, as you stated, sound like a windtunnel or an air conditioner that needs repair.

Try this <a href="http://www.coolerguys.com/">link.</a>
    Bouncy Bouncy

Tomshardware.com recently did an article on fans, quietness and their ability to cool. As expected, the quieter the fan the hotter the processor was. It will always be a trade off.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I agree Noo Noo, there is always a trade off if you want a cooler processor. I would sacrifice a little noise (which should be muffled by the case being on anyway) for the piece of mind of knowing thay my processor is 10-20 degrees cooler with a noiser fan.
    System Specs
    ------------------------------------------------
    Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

512MB PC2100 DDR RAM,

Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti4400,

TDK 48X24X48 CD/RW

Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM

Yeah, but I have the mobo that shuts down when the cpu gets hot. GokuSS2, I have it with the adjustable speed wire hooked up and the sensor. Even when I turn it a slow speed as possible, the thing is still louder than the stock fan.

I don’t know, I trying to figure out how to get my refund now ..

<a href="http://www.coolerguys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Cod e=840556018001">Here's one</a> that functions at 37dba (quiet) and is only $20.00. AND its made for your Athlon XP 1800.
    Last edited by Orangeman; September 30th, 2002 at 10:55 AM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

hey cool, thanks ograngeman,
    I found a better price , http://store.yahoo.com/inca-city/thersuporfor.html

ahhh, nevermind.. thats an orb1
    Last edited by PacMan; September 30th, 2002 at 02:33 PM.

Well, blow me down (pun intended) you certainly DID find a better price.

Glad I could Help,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Originally posted by PacMan
    Yeah, but I have the mobo that shuts down when the cpu gets hot. GokuSS2, I have it with the adjustable speed wire hooked up and the sensor. Even when I turn it a slow speed as possible, the thing is still louder than the stock fan.

I don’t know, I trying to figure out how to get my refund now ..

You still have not said what thermal compound you used with it.
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

don't laugh gokuss2 but what do you mean by compound?

umm.. ok, go ahead an laugh . sorry, I'm a newbe at these things .

if your talking about the white solution, that’s what I used.. but should that effect the sound?
    Last edited by PacMan; September 30th, 2002 at 04:20 PM.

Thermal compound is the grease or paste that you put between the CPU and the heatsink. That white gunk included is horrible. How that effects the sound is the the Fan detects the CPU temp. IF it is too hot it speeds the fan up. When the Temp averages out it slows the Fan down. If the Thermal compound does not transfer the heat well the CPU will run hot and the FAN will run HIGH. Use CoolerMaster Premium Thermal Compound. BTW how much of the white gunk as you call it did you put on the CPU. If you put to much it dows not work as well. It should be semi-transparent. Both my Volcano 9's are running VERY QUIET Because I use good thermal compound.
    Last edited by GokuSS2; September 30th, 2002 at 04:42 PM.

The decibel level, 37dba for the suggested fan is for the .maximum output level . Therefore the type of paste used would have no effect on sound since the maximum sound output would be 37dba Max. That is a quite fan. All you really need is a thin coat of paste anyway.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Originally posted by Orangeman
    The decibel level, 37dba for the suggested fan is for the .maximum output level . Therefore the type of paste used would have no effect on sound since the maximum sound output would be 37dba Max. That is a quite fan. All you really need is a thin coat of paste anyway.
    Do you own this fan?

17 dB at 1300 rpm
    48 dB at 4800 rpm