Windows/computer Freezes!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows/computer Freezes!!

Windows/computer Freezes!!

Hi,In the past days my Computer freezes when I dont use it for a short time (10-15 min), It works just fine when I use it but if I leave it for a while & the screensaver pops up it slows down & after a while it totally freezes & I have to turn of the power in order to reboot! It also freezes if I dont use a screensaver.
    Recently I converted one of my storage harddrives to NTFS & I ve installed the latest Windows XP update Thats it!
    I really wanna be able to leave my computer sometimes! Got no clues, Please Help!!

Have you tried adjusting the power options in the control panel?
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    You also may want to pull the cover off the system and check to be sure the RAM and video card are seated in the slots properly, and check to see if all the fans are running and clean. Be sure you also have the latest chipset drivers installed.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Does it only do it with the screensaver on?

Have you tried different screensavers?

Do you have seti or united devices running?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

check your fan to make sure its clean and running. but also pull your ram chip(s) out and re-seat them.

After trying different RAM check for viruses, (Norton, AVG etc.) spyware (AdAware from Lavasoft) or trojans (SpyBot SD)
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

Hi, Ive noticed that the computer freezes (cant move the mouse or anything) when ever it feels like it, sometimes it can take days or hours. Ive cleaned the CPU fan (What an Mess) Ive taken & reinserted the memories, after that I did a virus check but the computer just froze!?!? so I installed a mainboard monitor & did another scan but the CPU temp was around 48-52 & the fan was running ok, this time the Virus check finished whitout no problems (no viruses), so I guess its a software problem but I have no more clues!!

Did you check that screen savers are disabled?
    Did you check that the hard drive is not allowed to power down?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Screensaver is disabled & Nothing (HD) is alowed to be shutdown! I have Norton Antivirus & sygatefirewall running in the background!

you checked for updates for both of those?

Norton is a known machine killer...

I have the latest versions running!
    Recently I converted my drives to NTFS, could that maybe be involved? Maybe some data got damaged? I also installed the latest win xp update. I could paly games for hours & nothing will happen & I could have just started the computer & it will freeze! Should I just reinstall the operative system?!

I would run without Norton for a while, see if that helps - just dont go opening emails and to err, less salubrious sites while the experiment is running...

Then if that doesnt have an effect run with norton, but without sygate, and then try both not running together.

Will do mam.. Will do! Thanks

Also try making a MemTest bootdisc, boot from it and let it run thru the complete test a few times. Just to rule out hardware related issues.

You can get a free copy of MemTest86 here

Well since the last post I havent Had any problems with the Windows Freezing on me until today when it just starts to freez up now & then! I havent had any problem for weeks, I have done all described above & I thought the problm was over but Hell no!
    Ive installed Spybot, adaware & removed all the spywares,I have no viruses or trojans.
    Could it be that I need to reinstall windows!!??