Lite-on Dvd Dvrives

Thread: Lite-on Dvd Dvrives

Lite-on Dvd Dvrives

Hi! I am after a new DVD Drive and need to know what the difference between the Lite-On LTD-165H and LTD-166S drives are as I cant't find no info on the Lite-On site or anywhere else.

I need to know ASAP

Banned
    been asking the same question RE: 40125w as opposed to the "s" version , if in your case it is not a "scci" or USB /ext version -(very doughtfull) put it down to the onboard EPROM , different ones shipped to different countries ,,,,

good luck

FtF

firmware is usually the case with LiteOn drives, I have never used a Lite-On DVD rom (usually ASUS very reliable and very good for extraction )

The difference is most likely to be (if any) multi-region unlock, and such toys

The LTD-165H

The Liteon LTD-165H reads DVDs at 16X and CDs at 48X. SMART-X® Technology supports High Speed Digital Audio Extration (DAE) & High Speed VCD Data Extraction. It also has ABS, but not the kind you'll find on your car - the ABS® Auto Balance System Mechanism reduces vibration & noise. Access time: 120ms. Dimensions: 145.8 x 41.3 x 170.0mm

full LTD-165H Specs here

The LTD-166S

Full drive specs
    here

I hope this sheds some lite-on your problem (and yes the pun was intended :P)
    Last edited by Garak; November 3rd, 2002 at 11:41 PM.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Exclamation IDE speed difference

Originally posted by Garak
    I hope this sheds some lite-on your problem (and yes the pun was intended :P)
    (Scott's toungue don't work!! )

Thanks to Gary's links I can tell you the difference is the ide transfer speeds, the 165 is capable of UDMA mode 2 so ATA 33, but the 166 seems to support UDMA mode 3 (equivalent to ata 44.5 - I know there ain't one!)....

So the 165 is Multi word DMA capable and the 166 seems to be truly DMA capable, remember MW (multi word) DMA capability is only properly implemeneted with certain chipsets, not all.....

Thanks for all the info guys it was very useful.

Thanks