A SCSI-IDE Question For Ya...

Thread: A SCSI-IDE Question For Ya...

Post A SCSI-IDE Question For Ya...

Hello,

I have a customer that has a Dell Optiplex. The PC came with a 10GB SCSI drive in it. She want's me to install a 7200 rpm 80GB drive into the PC. The PC has a the SCSI Select Utility on it. I would like to make the 80GB the primary hard drive and make the 10GB SCSI the secondary hard drive. Everytime I Ghost (2002) the 10gig to the 80 gig drive and format the 10gig, the PC doesn't boot. If I re-image the drive back to the 10gig and format the 80gig the PC boots to an invalid system disk. I know this is a Dell and has the proprietary BIOS. But I'm sorta stumped. The last PC I did for her, I left Win98 in both drives. Is there something in the SCSI select bios somewhere that I'm missing?
    "The labor's free, it's your attitude that costs $120.00 an hour."

BS:IT, CCNA, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCITP:EA, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Project+, CIW

is this scsi, or a promise type (ata 100) chip?
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

[quote]Originally posted by Chris MacMahon:
    <strong>is this scsi, or a promise type (ata 100) chip?</strong><hr></blockquote>

SCSI
    "The labor's free, it's your attitude that costs $120.00 an hour."

BS:IT, CCNA, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCITP:EA, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Project+, CIW

[quote]Originally posted by computron99:
    <strong>Hello,

I have a customer that has a Dell Optiplex. The PC came with a 10GB SCSI drive in it. She want's me to install a 7200 rpm 80GB drive into the PC. The PC has a the SCSI Select Utility on it. I would like to make the 80GB the primary hard drive and make the 10GB SCSI the secondary hard drive. Everytime I Ghost (2002) the 10gig to the 80 gig drive and format the 10gig, the PC doesn't boot. If I re-image the drive back to the 10gig and format the 80gig the PC boots to an invalid system disk. I know this is a Dell and has the proprietary BIOS. But I'm sorta stumped. The last PC I did for her, I left Win98 in both drives. Is there something in the SCSI select bios somewhere that I'm missing?</strong><hr></blockquote>

What OS are you running? - have you tried taking the 10 out and booting from the 80? i dont know how much you know about scsi and such so please dont be offended, if the drive boots without the 10gig, it may well be the ID settings are conflicting (possibly both set to 0) hope this sheds some light on things - if not im sure someone else will be able to help.
    - also is the termination set correctly on the drives?
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Cool

SCSI will always come first in the boot order unless it is changed in the machines BIOS.

Check the CMOS setup first, there will normally be a "Boot Order/List" option. this should let you move the IDE to boot first.
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

Banned

on the award bios chipsets , the SCSI will override the IDE drive , this happens on my system with an advansys card - even though i did all the correct settings.

as the scsi was my origional , and i was upgrading with IDE (ghosting identical) I simply removed command.com from the SCSC unit and it then booted from IDE

hope this helps you

freddy