Wierd Freeze Up on New Computer
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wierd Freeze Up on New Computer

Wierd Freeze Up on New Computer

Hi Gang,

I got a new computer a few days ago. For every morning in since I got it I have had to restart the computer and run scandisk in order for it to work properly.

This only happens in the morning when I get up. Obviously the computer is idle for several hours. The clock reports that the tijme is about 1hr 40 minutes behind what it actually is. When I reboot the time goes to the correct setting.

What is going on?

THanks,
    Orangeman
    Win98SE; K7SEM MOBO; (Elitegroup) Duron 1.2 XP; 256mb RAM, 32mb Shared RAM; Onboard Video (AGP 4X) & Sound; IE6 (AC'97); Netscape 6.2, WIN98SE, 2-HD's 1st 12G. 2nd 10G.Epson C60; Visioneer Scanner, Aiptek Videocam; 17" Monitor, Iomega 100, 20X CDROM; 56K, AOL 7.0; MS Word 2000; Command AV., & over 40 Games
    Last edited by Orangeman; November 10th, 2002 at 12:57 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Have a look at your power management settings?

There is a bios update here but no details as to what it fixes..
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks NooNoo,

I'll try it,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Exclamation

Originally posted by Orangeman
    Thanks NooNoo,
    I'll try it,
    Orangeman
    Don't try it!
    Last BIOS for this motherboard can cause what your 1,2Gg Duron XP will be recognized as ... a standard Duron 850 Mhz CPU...
    (I did reflash BIOS for the same motherboard after one guy screwed it up)...
    Fortunately, we had the same motherboard in store, so I did a BIOS copy from working motherboard and reflashed that original BIOS back...

However, I think what true speed of that CPU (1,2Gig Duron XP) is just only marketing trick - any test program I've tried told me what it is Duron 850Mhz (or something like that)...

Read also this thread:
    http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...light=Duron+XP

It is good enough motherboard,though, but I do not like to be cheated...
    Last edited by Ruslan; November 10th, 2002 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks,

As it turned out I went on to the Elitegroup Bios page and found that the bios update is older than my current motherboard. AS as result I never tried 'upgrading'

As for the speed of the CPUI went into the DirectX diagnostic tool and discovered that the "speed" of my CPU according to it is 833mhz.

I'll read that post you gave me.

Take care,
    Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Hi,

Well I clocked it using a program called 'cpuinfo' from AMD's OWN website. The information I got was VERY interesting.

Evidently my 1.2 Duron XP is really a regular 'Genuine Duron' (TM) 892mhz!!!

I downloaded SISSOFTSANDRA and I got a speed of 893mhz + a 'Coprocessor FPU' reading that said 'built-in" Sandra does not list it as an XP.

I also ran DirectX diagnostic again and my result THIS TIME came out at 900mhz.

What is "coprocessor FPU?" Does that mean that it has a coprocessor built in that gives it that extra 300mhz?

Thanks,,
    Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; November 10th, 2002 at 08:07 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Well they do give the XP rating as an example of its speed rated against an intel chip ,so really its only marketing hype.

Hi Geoscomp,

The BIOS sees it as a 1200+. DirectX, CPUinfo, & SisSandra see it as a 900. I was wondering what the discrepancy was.

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Hey Orangeman..is Tacoma really that sunny?..anyway..we had a discussion about this on the thread ruslan indicated, but that processor was a soldered in job..Does the bios indicate it is a duron 1200? maybe it is seeing it as an Athlon 1200..so the speed you are getting in windows would be about right. I am a bit confused about the clock being off by that much in windows and being right when you reboot though
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Hi Geoscomp,

Actually there is a tee-shirt out here that is very popular. It says "Seattle Rain Festival Sept.- May" Not nearly as cold as Minnesota (I hear) but alot more rain.

I think "Sunny Tacoma Washington" is a defense mechanism. We need them out here.

Anyway, back to my question. Yes, it does really say 'Duron XP 1.2+' on reboot.

When I get into Windows it also says 900mhz in DirectX, Sandra and CPU info. I don't know what the problem is.

I was a little bummed, like my predecessor on the other post Shard32, to find that it is a 'soldered' processor.

It does have onboard sound and onboard video, both of which are enabled. Perhaps that could be the problem?

Thanks,
    Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

What revision is the board, V1.0 or version V3.0??

If it's V3.0:-
    looks to me as if its a Duron (the board runs at a 200mhz FSB and Athlons run at 266 nowadays if I remember correctly)

As for the clock settings being read wrong, there are no indications on the ECS site as to what the actual CPU clock speed is since it's a intergrated CPU

if it's V1.0:-

Looking at the BIOS updates, there seems to have been alot of bugs when they first released this board (probably not the best choice in the world by the looks of it..
    • Hidden UART2 Normal Item
    • Fix HCT test problem
    • Add Onboard Lan auto detect function
    • Patch onboard fan sensor can't detect under 2000RPM
    • Add RTC default date is BIOS make day
    • Fix 133MHz CPU show 134MHz
    • Fix Win98 & WinMe S1 or S3 Wakeup screen can't display Immediately
    • Fix test 3DWinMark performance problem
    • Fix Ext. AGP card can't resume from S3 in Win98
    • Fix 1GHz CPU (Internal clock 100M/133M) show ERROR
    • Change UART2 Item name to 'UART 2 Mode Controller
    • Hidden LPC device MAC in Source Bridge
    • Change AC Resume default to Disable

14 issues corrected on the first update alone

I rememver my QDI board saying something simular, clocking my Duron 1.1 as an Athlon 1.4 till I applied a BIOS update.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Well I'm still confused. Yes I have a version 3, not a version 1, so I am in good shape there.

However this link from Tom's Hardware says the Duron 1200 beats the Pentium 4 1500.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q...on1200-12.html

Yet this link from Pricewatch.com says that the Duron 1200 is only 850mhz. (3rd entry down)

http://www.pricewatch.com/1/306/2868-1.htm

How can both these things be true unless the Pentium 4 1500 has a clock-speed of less than 850mhz?

Thanks,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

OMG Sorry Orangeman, I had no idea...

One more reason never to use ecs in my book.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

That's Okay NooNoo,

By the way, what is 'ecs?'
    Bouncy Bouncy

ECS