Wierd Freeze Up on New Computer - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Wierd Freeze Up on New Computer

Well, I finally got a partial response from our AMD rep..AMD evidently did not know about the way the chip was going to be named, and IS concerned because, as has been pointed out, the Duron does not use quantispeed architecture, and is thus inelgible for the 1200+ naming convention that AMD uses for it's Athlon XP models. They do have an interest in this because they are being sold as duron chips, and any problems related to them can come back in the form of bad P.R. which AMD does not need..They are looking into the problem, and he will get back to me with more info.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Well Gang,

This 4-page saga has had an interesting ending. I checked out SysSoftSandra. Evidently although my mhz rating of my 1200 Duron XP+ is only 900, the PR (Performance Rating) is 1186mhz!

As we already knew AMD uses a different cpu architecture. That architecture allows its processors to process more information with fewer 'ticks' of the clock. Sandra says that it would be consistent with a Intel 1186 processor (if such a product existed.)

I don't trust AMD or especially EGS considering the evasive responses I got from them. But SysSoftSandra is a download with no economic reason to lie.

I guess feel better now.

Thanks to all of you for all your help.

Orangeman

Last edited by Orangeman; November 16th, 2002 at 04:15 AM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Sorry for not replying back sooner, I didn't get a real chance to actually get this up and running until Last night.

Apart from a bad CMOS battery and the bios seeing the cpu as 1200+ xp, it installed win2kpro flawlessly.
    Installed all drivers for chipset, agp, audio and nic.
    Loaded sp3 and other updates for win 2k pro.

I let it run overnight running a program from United Devices that uses spare cpu resources for scientific experiments. It is completely voluntary. I got it at www.ud.com. No reboots or lockups.
    I usually disable all power management except for allow the monitor to go to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity.
    I am using it to type this message right now and running winamp 3 playing various mp3's.

I haven't loaded up any other programs yet, so there wasn't much running in the background either than winamp and ud.

May I'll try win98se on this and see what happens. I'll take out the geforce 2 mx400 v.c. I have in here and run 3d mark2001 se to see what benchmarks I get with onboard video. I'll bet it will be pretty pitiful.

Orangeman, in case that technician didn't load up the latest drivers for your system. Here the link.

http://www.sis.com/support/driver/step1.htm

By the way, what happened to your original system before this tech. upgraded your system with this board?

You also may want to get a separate video card for your games since the onboard video shares with exist ram and runs slower than a video card in the agp slot.

I'll get back to you after I installed win98 se later tonight.

"By the way, what happened to your original system before this tech. upgraded your system with this board?"

Hi Chef,

Here are the gory details.

Well, I was trying to fix a problem with my CDBURNER. It wouldn't burn. When I fixed it I noticed that the floppy wasn't working. I unplugged it and reversed it, plugged it in with the twist on the end, and tried several things. After several hours of this I decided to go to bed and worry about it in the morning.

Still thinking about this problem I woke up at 2:30 am with the 'brilliant' idea that maybe the power supply cable wasn't in tight enough or reversed.

That did it. I should have gone back to sleep and waited 'till morning when I could look at it again with clear eyes. First, its hard to put a floppy power supply cable in backwards. That was my first mistake. Second, When I did this a pin that was supposed to go in - didn't! As a result there was smoke coming out of my computer.

After I unplugged it I got it going again and figured I've have to buy a new floppy - big deal right? 12 bucks. However I compounded my mistake even more by not cutting off the burned out power connector. As a result is was resting on the Hard Drive. When I took it to the shop because it wouldn't boot there was smoke coming from the HD.

As a result I had to replace the power supply, motherboard, HD, and cdburner. Add to this about $100 in labor and you have something that could have been avoided by simply going out and buying a new floppy.

Don't comment, it hurts too much to write it down.

Thanks,
    Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Originally posted by Orangeman
    "By the way, what happened to your original system before this tech. upgraded your system with this board?"

Don't comment, it hurts too much to write it down.

Thanks,
    Orangeman
    Sorry for not replying back, I was sidetracked.
    Don't worry, I won't say anything.
    Crap happens to all of us.
    I didn't have the greatest luck running win98 on this system. It would freeze up when booting into win98. I would have to reboot into safe mode then back to normal to get it running right. Installed Winme on it, no prob!!!! Win2kpro or xp run fine on it as well. Trying Lindows on it. Very smooth.
    Not bad for a cheap board.

Hopefully that system isn't giving you too much grief.

Hi Chef,

Thanks for the insight!!!. I really do appreciate it. It gives me one more reason to upgrade. I have been hesitating so far because I have become so used to 98, but next year Microsoft is going to stop supporting it. I have to do someting.

I have a copy of Win2k but I haven't installed it yet. Its going to be quite a shock when I do because it will be so different. I've been putting it off, but I think I will be better off, once I do.
    Thanks again,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

I don't think switching from 98 to 2K is going to be that much of a shock to ya, now XP's a different story.....
    I think I can, I think I can...

There's no such thing as IDIOT Proof

Originally posted by cookin chef
    I didn't have the greatest luck running win98 on this system. It would freeze up when booting into win98. I would have to reboot into safe mode then back to normal to get it running right. Not bad for a cheap board.

Hopefully that system isn't giving you too much grief.
    HI Chef,

Well, after almost two months of owning this new board I finally found a solutioin. If you go into the Bios and disable power management you won't have any more freeze-up problems. You can then re-enable power management through the Win98 OS.

Incidentally, if you are having difficulty getting the onboard AGP card to work you need to have your screen settings for 16bit high color, not 32bit true color,

Thanks for all your help,
    Orangeman

Also, if you are ha
    Bouncy Bouncy

Thanks for the info Orangey!!!
    I haven't had any problems with the agp slot, just lockups with win98.
    I have win2pro running on it right now. So, I don't need to worry about power management, but that is what probably caused my win98 headaches.
    I should have thought of that!!! DUUUUUHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I usually disable power management, but haven't because newer operating systems like win2k or winxp usually need it enabled.
    Sometimes not always, but most of the time.