Wierd Freeze Up on New Computer - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wierd Freeze Up on New Computer

Thanks,

(I think?)

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Hi,

I think ECS stands for Elitegroup Computer System.

I am just curious. Isn't that all the new AMD XP series (whether Athlon or Duron) CPU speed is all based performance Ratings. In a word, Athlon XP 2100+ is actually something like an Athlon 1700 in true speed. Therefore, the Duron XP 1200+ would have been actually an Duron 850 in true speed. Am I correct?

I hate this PR ratings. its confusing.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Idontknow
    I am just curious. Isn't that all the new AMD XP series (whether Athlon or Duron) CPU speed is all based performance Ratings. In a word, Athlon XP 2100+ is actually something like an Athlon 1700 in true speed. Therefore, the Duron XP 1200+ would have been actually an Duron 850 in true speed. Am I correct?
    .....yeah, as far as I know AMD calls it f.ex 2100+ because that particular AMD processor would correspond to an Intel processor of at least 2100Mhz. Processors are compared almost solely by their Mhz ratings by most users, so AMD appearently felt that Intel had an advantage here, and did something about it.

That is true of the Athlon processors..don't say ghz anywhere in the name..but this duron is advertised by AMD as a 1.2ghz. processor..so I don't think it is the same thing..very curious

P>S> Got so curious I went down to the store and opened up a couple of the 1.2 ghz durons, put them on MSI boards and both boards saw the processors as 1.2 ghz. I wonder if this particular ECS motherboard with the soldered in processor had it's bios tweaked to show it as a 1200+ in line with the athlon "naming convention" instead of it's true speed..could be it is a 900mhz duron on there in the first place
    Last edited by geoscomp; November 11th, 2002 at 07:42 PM.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Yep as far as I was aware the Athlon XP is only cpu that is named diff to its actual speed. Older athlons (pre xp) are rated in Ghz/Mhz as are durons.

Orangeman, can you look in bios for fsb and multiplier?
    'We apoligise for the inconvienience' Gods final message to his creations.

Ove rClocked to 1.2ghz?

HI Gang,

I wrote ECS (EliteGroup Systems) about my question which was why the bios said I had a Duron XP 1200+ when my clock speed only said 900mhz (1/4 less)

Here is the response I got:

The CPU speed being reported by WINDOWS or some utility programs as 892Mhz processor is also correct because the system BUS was over-clocked, which is not of too much concern because the system was benchmark, tested and burn-in at 892MHZ with no problem found as far as system performance and stability.

The Duron 1200 XP showing during POST is correct, meaning the performance rating of Duron/850MHZ is equivalent to an XP1200. This is a correct information since the XP architecture is using a four pipeline(quantispeed)and the Duron/850MHZ use frequency in terms of clock speed. So theoretically, if you measure the speed of an XP1200+, which doesn't really exist, it will be equivalent to an 850MHZ CPU.

Now, I don't understand alot of his 'computerese' but it sounds to me like I have both an overclocked 850mhz duron and because of its design, a cpu that functions equivalent to 1.2ghz?

Am I correct?

Thanks,
    Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Nope..I think what you have is a duron 850mhz, which doesn't use quantispeed..it has a three pipeline fpu..not four..and they overclocked it to 892 mhz, and then tweaked the bios to recognize it as 1200+, which only really works for an Athlon..There are 1.2 ghz durons available..see here:
    http://www.tftcomputers.com/AMD1.2duron.htm
    but this isn't one of them, and if they advertised it as a 1.2 ghz. chip..they are guilty of false advertising..note that even the 1.2 ghz chip has only 3 pipelines
    Computer Rescue Service

Thanks GeoScomp and the rest of you for your help. Its better to know the truth, even if it does pi$$ me off.

Talk to you later,
    Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; November 11th, 2002 at 11:48 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

here are the duron specs..can't find quantispeed arch listed anywhere..sorry couldnt have been of more help:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._118_1274_1202^1938,00.html
    Computer Rescue Service

Hi all,

I am curious again. If a CPU is overclocked, wouldn't that void the warranty? ECS is false advertising for sure for overclocking the CPU and gave out misleading information. I wonder does AMD knows what ECS is doing. Since the CPU is soldiered on, ECS would have purchase that chip directly from AMD. Does AMD actually allow them to do so? Is legal for ECS to do that?

Thanks for putting up with me.

I don't know, but I emailed our AMD rep with all the info, so we'll find out what their stand is. Interesting that this is only possible because of AMD's decision to name their athlons with something other than ghz ratings though.
    Computer Rescue Service

Originally posted by geoscomp
    I don't know, but I emailed our AMD rep with all the info, so we'll find out what their stand is. Interesting that this is only possible because of AMD's decision to name their athlons with something other than ghz ratings though.
    Good for you! I'll be interested in finding out what you come up with,

Thanks again,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Originally posted by vapd
    Yep as far as I was aware the Athlon XP is only cpu that is named diff to its actual speed. Older athlons (pre xp) are rated in Ghz/Mhz as are durons.

Orangeman, can you look in bios for fsb and multiplier?
    Hi Vapd,

I don't get a clock speed or multiplier, but the FSB is 200mhz.

Here are the MB Stats:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/4itech/ecsk7semv3wi.html

Thanks,
    Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; November 12th, 2002 at 04:24 AM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Unhappy You've been had!

If you bought this 'machine' based on that link then, you are going to have no re-dress with trading standards or with any other body to stop 'unfair' advertising.....

It says clearly enough that the processor is 850Mhz .

An 850 duron may be equivalent in Mhz to an xp1200 but it is not the same in processes executed terms, which is AMDs entire stance on the matter.

Once upon a time they used to clearly identify the chip with a branding right on top, then it went to codes and now it says nothing, on any of them that's any use at all. This all adds to the theory that they just make one lot of chips, test them & then sell the 'good' ones as the best chips and use the 'naff' ones as the lower spec ones

You never seemed to figure out why it needs scandisking every morning & loses time ??? If I were you, I'd be trying to send it back, even if it meant a 'little tinkering' to render it well & truly dead....

Re: You've been had!

Originally posted by confus-ed
    If you bought this 'machine' based on that link then, you are going to have no re-dress with trading standards or with any other body to stop 'unfair' advertising.....

It says clearly enough that the processor is 850Mhz .

I didn't buy it based on that link. I bought it based on the recommendation of the tech who was fixing my previous computer. I came up with the link after I decided to do a little investigating as to why I was having all these problems.

I ran my DirectX Diagnostic Tool and noticed that it was reporting a 900mhz processor and the BIOS said Duron 1200XP+. That is what lead me to the link in the first place.

I asked the seller how fast the processor was and he said "Duron 1200" I said 1.2GHz and he said "yes" He also said he sold alot of them. It wasn't doctored by the tech, but by ECS.

I'm glad you helped me clarify that Confused

Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; November 12th, 2002 at 06:21 AM.
    Bouncy Bouncy