&*^%$ Linksys Router

Thread: &*^%$ Linksys Router

&*^%$ Linksys Router

I've been a fan of the Linksys Routers for a little while now, but mine has recently developed an extremely irritating problem. Everything will be working fine, I'll be browsing the web and *BAM* usddenly it goes offline. Sometime I have to actually go to the router and reset/unplug it, and sometimes it comes back by itself. I've already brought the firmware to the most current iteration (1.43 I think). Is anyone else have this issue with the straight 4 port Linky router (BEFS41)?
    end of line.

This is very similar to the problem I'm having with mine. I get a connection for 2-3 days and then its gone for 1-2 days. Cable modem seems to works fine, LEDs light up. Same with the router, blinking in sync with the modem. I've even tried connecting directly to the modem and nothing. I called my provider and provided the MAC address on the modem, but it was not showing up on their end. They sent someone out but everything was working when he came out. Go figure.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Are you running any peer 2 peer software?

I had the EXACT same problem.. seemed intermitent... but after many tech support calls and some digging...

If you run more than one program the use the same service port and dose not comply to the M$ way of regestering or requestion service ports for their TCP/IP stack... it will cause the router to become comfused and lock up.

This used to be a bug I found in BearShare, about a year ago. If the OTHER client connectiong to you had not changed his default port and your port was set in you router (so you didnt need passive mode or pushes) then they would confilt.

The workaround was to use limewire for 2 weeks till the new ver came out. I have seen it happen in other P2P type software that is in the "underground" / "Major meda" arena.

Otherwise, exchange it thru thier tech support?!?
    You know you want a crabby patty!!

Why, I don't know what you are talking about. What is this Peer 2 Peer software you are talking about?
    end of line.

Kidding right?

Peer 2 peer?? KAZZA for example... LOL......

Aimster... hehehe....

u get the point.. LOL......

u were kidding right?

You know you want a crabby patty!!

Not sure anything in the above posts help solve this problem, but I too am having the same problem, but it seemed to start right after I flashed the firmware. I just wish I kept the old firmware!

If you have a BEFSR11, I have firmware from version 1.37 to 1.423. Let me know if you need any and which one.
    To each his/her own.

I have the BEFSR41.. Thanks though!

Originally posted by SpongeBob
    Kidding right?

Peer 2 peer?? KAZZA for example... LOL......

Aimster... hehehe....

u get the point.. LOL......

u were kidding right?

Yes I was kidding. You'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to work in the IT industry and not have heard of P2P.

I did find a solution to my problem, it seems to be linked with WAN DHCP. When I set the router to static, my connection is much more stable, without the drop-offs. The bad news is every other day my ISP is calling and complaining that I'm holding addresses too long.
    end of line.

I'm 92% sure the 11 and the 41 use the same firmware.
    Do You Realize? - that you have the most beautiful face
    Do You Realize? - we're floating in space -
    Do You Realize? - that happiness makes you cry
    Do You Realize? - that everyone you know someday will die