Quicktime & Photo Editor Compete for JPG Images!

Thread: Quicktime & Photo Editor Compete for JPG Images!

Quicktime & Photo Editor Compete for JPG Images!

Hi Gang,

Well, everything was working fine until I decided to reinstall Trivial Pursuit on my computer. When I did this I had to install Apple QuickTime Viewer on my computer. The Apple application is a predecessor of PhotoEditor, but I prefer to use PhotoEditor to open up my jpg images.

Well when I installed QuickTime all my jpg’s wound up with Apple Icons. To remedy this I tried uninstalling Trivial Pursuit and Quicktime. The jpg’s were still associated with Apple.

Then I tried going Start>Settings>Folder Options>File Types and looking for jpg images to trty to change the file association. There are two entries. The first was listed “JPEG Images” and the second was “JFIF” files, both of which are set to open under PhotoEditor. ‘jpg’ wasn’t listed. When I tried to add ‘jpg.’ I got a pop-up telling me the “the extension jpg is already in use by file type ‘viewerframeclass.’

I can’t find ‘viewerframeclass’ anywhere. As I said I tried uninstalling Quicktime with McAfee Uninstaller and it didn’t work. It didn't have its own uninstall file. When I tried to open a jpg images I got an error saying “Cannot find viewer.exe’

What can I do to re-associate the jpg’s with MS Photoeditor?

Thanks,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Lightbulb

This post is clearly belong to Office section... (But I will answer anyway)
    I see 3 possible workaround (from Easy to hard).
    1. Reinstall Photoeditor
    2. Shift right click on JP?? file and chose "Open With..." - chose Photoeditor - if it works Than Chose "always open..."
    3. Goto the file association (File types) and chose Jpeg Image. Create a new Entry - call it Open2 - on the the action / application Enter:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd\PHOTOED.EXE" "%1"

With the Quetes.

If this doesn't work I will try to make you a Registry Fix (REG File) that will do the trick.

Good Luck,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Thanks Gabriel for your help.

Here is what happened:

With regard to the first option, there is no setup file for photoeditor, nor is there a way to extract it from Win98SE using System File Checker or any other tool I KNOW about.

When I tried the second option, right clicking a jpg image, I don’t get an ‘open with’ option

Thirdly, when I try to create a ‘jpeg image’ with ‘open2’ I get an entry that says ‘That extension is already being used by ….another file”

Thanks again for your help,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Originally posted by Orangeman
    Thanks Gabriel for your help.

Here is what happened:

With regard to the first option, there is no setup file for photoeditor, nor is there a way to extract it from Win98SE using System File Checker or any other tool I KNOW about.

When I tried the second option, right clicking a jpg image, I don’t get an ‘open with’ option

Thirdly, when I try to create a ‘jpeg image’ with ‘open2’ I get an entry that says ‘That extension is already being used by ….another file”

Thanks again for your help,

Orangeman
    With great respect for you...
    The first option I meant rerunning Office Setup (can also be accessed from the add/remove applet.

The second option I meant to Shift right click (right click won't bring the Open With otion in Win98).

The third option I meant you to Edit Current association and not create new one.

it seems you go me all wrong - sorry for not making it more clear.

Good Luck - and update me on the progress,
    Gabriel

I'm sorry for not getting it right Gabriel,

I'll try these suggestions later and get back to you,

Thanks again,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Shift>Right Click>Open With>It Worked!!!

I've been using this program for about 5 years now and never knew that one. I heard about it but figured that it only worked if an association hadn't already been made.

Thanks for teaching me something new!!

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Orangeman
    Shift>Right Click>Open With>It Worked!!!
    Gr8 -
    Mark the "Always use this program..." Checkbox and from this Point Photoeditor will do the trick.

A day that you don't learn something new - is a bad day...

Cheers,
    Gabriel