WIn2k Server slow logon....HELP!!!!!

Thread: WIn2k Server slow logon....HELP!!!!!

Question WIn2k Server slow logon....HELP!!!!!

I have a Windows 200 Domain with 12 users. All users have
    Windows 2000 Pro installed. Now all users connect to the
    domain and are authenticated properly. I have a login
    script that also runs from the server mapping three
    network drives to the users. My question is from the
    point of LOGON it can take anywhere from 10 to 90 MINUTES
    to get to the desktop. Some users also lose their
    mappings which make little to no sence to me as they are
    processing a login script when they logon to the server.
    I have created a network ID and added these users with no
    problems. If I set a user to logon as a workgroup then
    the user gets the the desktop in less than 5 minutes. The
    problem with the workgroup is the users do not process a
    logon script from the server.
    Has anyone seen this problem? Any ideas? I am wondering
    if there was something configured wrong on the server that
    might be causing this??

Thanks in advance!!

Rick

ok, more info

1 One server is in place. No single run is over 100 feet. They are all connected to a 10/00 switch which is less than 3 months old. All PCs including the server are less than a year old. All systems either meet or exceed 128MB ram, PIII 933 and 20 GIG HDD.
    The server has two mirrored boot drives and two mirrored data drives and a single "quick store" drive. Back ups a re runnign smooth and the mirrores are still intact and functioning properly!!
    This is a WIndows 2000 Server with SP2 all workstations are WIn2K with SP2 as well. I do not beleive SP3 has been installed on these systems. So for a question on whether the network was functioning properly before...If cannot be answered. The original server was so messed up nothing was working correctly. Scripts were not correctly stored, mirroes not functioning, backup had not run correctly on 2 years. So now you know what we ran into. I honestly feel it is something on the server. Like maybe a DNS error or something. I was just wondering if there was a quick fix. If anyone else has run into this issue.

Thanks again!!
    Last edited by Digital_Rick; November 20th, 2002 at 12:12 PM.
    Network Administrator
    MCSE
    http://www.dcinh.com

10 to 90 minutes?????

That is an awful long time indeed. Even 5 minutes to logon to the workgroup is very long.

Lots of questions for you.

What are the server and workstation specs, what network protocols are running, using hubs or switches and what speed, are the users logging on with roaming or local profiles?

Is this the only server in the domain, how long has it been running, what policies have been set, has the network run normally before on a previous server be it W2k or NT4?

Need more info at this point to help.

emr

win 2k hangs

ok i believe that ms addressed this issue that can sometimes affect the logon 2 desktop time...not sure if it was on start-up though or on logon...anyway sp3 was supposed 2 address one of these issuez...i'll post more as soon as i find it.

bb

ok read your information on your ram count...128mb ram for a server is less than enough especially 2 handle that number of users and 2 handle concurent logons and not 2 mention the drive maps. beef up the ram 2 about 256- 512 min. and see your logons fly!!
    Last edited by bbtech6650; November 24th, 2002 at 08:55 PM.
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

We had a very similar problem on our W2K domain before. Users were taking an absolute age to log on one morning, but the giveaway was that it took me a long time to log on to the actual server itself. I found that there was hardly any space left on the C: drive, (under 20MB), so the server was crawling along. This was caused by the log files becoming huge, so taking all of the space on C:. If you're not using active directory then forget this as you wont have log files. Anyway, I moved the log files to a seperate drive, so freeing up C: again and everything was back to normal. On reading up the notes for W2K I did find that Microsoft recommend that the log files be moved to a seperate hard drive, or anywhere away from the system drive.
    Log files for our domain became very big in no time at all, and even now I delete all of the redundant ones every month to keep the size from getting ridiculous.

Check your secondary lookup zone in the dns settings, ad similiar problems with our new servers, took forever to log in, and it proved to be the sec. lookup zone, try setting it to the same value as primary lookup zone.
    I read your e-mail........