Windows XP upgrade ???

Thread: Windows XP upgrade ???

Windows XP upgrade ???

I have a business customer that has Win ME (yuck!) on her system. She would like to upgrade to WinXP Pro. Is there an XP upgrade and if so, has anyone tried it?!?
    I have had problems in the past with fighting existing software and hardware drivers for compatibility with XP. I would be traveling far to do the upgrade so I would like to get all the drivers necessary b4 I leave. The specs for the system are listed below, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Processor AMD Duron 700MHz 200FSB Pin Grid Array
    Memory 128MB (16M x 64) 133MHZ SDRAM
    Hard Drive Samsung 20.4GB V11 ATA100 5400RPM
    CD/RW Sony 8x4x32 Variable Speed CD-R/W Drive
    DVD-ROM NEC 12x/40x DVD-ROM Drive
    Floppy Drive GVC Lite-On Micro ATX 3.5
    Video Card eVGA Vanta LT 8MB AGP Video Card
    Modem GVC V.90 PCI SoftModem
    Operating System Windows ME
    Motherboard Spitfire - GVC AR862 Motherboard with Integrated Components (Millennia® XV)

GVC don't even admit to making motherboards now, so you might get some funky errors.

I would run the compatibility test and check out the ms hcl.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

NooNoo-
    Could you explain the "compatibility test" and also the other suggestion you had-- I am not familiar with either.
    Thanks!

The compatibility test is an option when you insert the xp disk. Instead of installing it checks the system to see if it will be compatible with xp. Not sure of the rest as I'm new to xp as well, so I can't really tell you much more than that about the test either.

Good Luck. Oh and I have seen xp home upgrades but have not personally seen an xp pro upgrade but I believe they exist.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

xppro upgrade do exist i know first hand having done many upgrades,with your old machine you better test for compatalibitie
    clauded

Upgrade exists. Drivers may not. Definitely want to F+F the drive and not upgrade over whatever's there now. Go with an NTFS partiton. DEFINITELY want to do the compliancy test first.

Good idea would be to xcopy their drive to another drive so if the whole thing goes kaput you can put it back the way it was.