Quality Names in MOBOs - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Quality Names in MOBOs

"I successfully used AMD substitutes through the PII and PIII"

"Substitutes"

Platypus - like the discussion but you have to justify.
    Tell me PC Tools - What version? -

constructor, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking of me, but I'll try to expand on my post & hope to answer your query somewhere along the line.

Firstly, apologies, PCTools is a typo, I was referring to the MIDI/HD sequencer ProTools, which is why I put (music) in brackets as a reference.

My post relates to having used AMD substitutes during the PII/PIII phase, ie when these CPU's were the industry standard, I had begun to use AMD instead.

When Classic/MMX Pentiums were it, things like Cyrix 686's had definite compatability problems, but sampling the stability & good value of a K6/233 (at 250 on a 100MHz bus M/B) caused me to use AMD from the K6/II onward.

So for me and those I built budget systems for, AMD CPU's substituted for Celerons, PII's or PIII's I otherwise may have used, without any discernable problems that would cause me to stop using them ie they were successful substitutes.

Hope this goes some way to explain my reasoning.
    Last edited by Platypus; December 28th, 2002 at 08:57 AM.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Re: Re: Quality Names in MOBOs

Originally posted by Ruslan
    From what you said, I would suspect bad memory, but not motherboard... By the way, Spacewalker motherboards aren't the best ones, but nevertheless, having good enough reputation...at least, I have good luck with them...

Every manufacturer has own good and bad models...
    So,it would be better to discuss, which particular model is good...

There is no point to say "this motherboard is bad ... (yeah, just because PSU blown and killed it)"...
    I agree, my place of employment has over 100 shuttle boards and have had only one go bad in nearly 2 years.

As for FIC, no complaints here with them either, used an AZ11 for 1.5 years with a Thunderbird 1.1ghz and no probs.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Tyan / Asus / Abit are decent
    Soyo seems to be making a good comeback (anyone remember the 6BA+ series of boards?)
    Intel's boards are nice too, pricey though it seems!

Most of our new system builds are based on Intel boards or Tyan boards.

biostar,been using them for a couple years and not had any probs.can't even find a newsgroup to post on if i did have a prob with them,so that should say something lol

Cool

i'm really happy to see someone recognize "biostar"------been using them with the amd processor and both the amd and via chipset for a while now and have virtually no problem ....not the fastest car on the track .....but actually one of the most stable .....for my personal use i prefer gigabyte ....lately they have really improves and as a sideline i just built a machine with an asus a7s333,,,,sis chipset ....witn a 2000xp plus ....and 512 333 ddram ........impressive ......so when you talk of mobos ....all have good and bad .....pcchips ....thumbs down

For my machine its ASUS all the way (P4B-533-C at the moment)
    My wife has a Plll 800 on a Gigabite board that works great
    And my kids are running off my old Pll 300 on a Chaintech board which has given me years of flawless service, If i could find a decient supply of chaintech boards I think I would use these boards in machines where cost is a factor.

For the customer I will recomend an ASUS but give the option of Gigabite to help shave the price down a bit for them.
    in the end it is customer who decides.

Just my thoughts and prefrences.

Cheers
    Push to test... Release to detonate.

Mt fav mobo

Hiya folks, just sticking my .02 in, Noboby has even mentioned the AOPEN line of system boards, I have been using these for many years and have had nothing but excellent uptime, in fact my wife is using a tower system i built out of only aopen products that is almost 8 years old (a hand me down) my current p4 system is all aopen and blazes....food for thought.

i have used AOpen mobos, cases, modems, sound cards, you name it i've used it and never had a problem with any of it. I really liked AOpens PIII boards but i haven't used on in awhile as out distro does not carry them. i also really really like the Aopen CDRWs.
    take care and tempt not the fates

Not bashing but we had a ton of failures on the AOpen AX59 Pro socket 7 boards. As for chaintech...the only problems we ever had on the socket 7 boards was the serial ports going out. We have had extremely good luck with Asus (except the A7V133) and Gigabyte. As far as Abit....it seems like if they're going to fail...they are DOA...just don't seem to fail out in the field.

Joe