Quality Names in MOBOs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quality Names in MOBOs

Originally posted by meatwad
    A-Bit does need to be tweaked in some cases to run properly, no doubt about that. But when they run good, they run good. ASUS is also good and I've had a lot of success with Tyan.

The rest I've found to be great sometimes and lousy other times.

The only 100% never buy absolute piece of trash I can warn you to avoid is PC Chips.
    I personally use Abit boards the majority of the time, and I have to agree with this statement to some degree. Once it works, it WORKS. Also, I have had good luck with Tyan boards, and lately Gigabyte has been pretty impressive.
    "Color outside the lines"

Asus, Gigabyte, Tyan, Soltek and Soyo is good boards,
    I like PCchips (PC****) though, they are very good if you get the right device drivers and good for overclocking, am wondering if I am just gonna start buying finish IBM computers though, all devices is supported by windows so you don't need all the extracd's when you reinstall.

Ive been wondering the same, im going to build a new pc soon, so i have been reading some reviews and the board im going with is the Asus A7N8X. Its got some good reviews, its an AMD board by the way.

Re: Re: Re: Quality Names in MOBOs

Originally posted by JungleMan1
    Huh?

How can you have a KT400 board with an NVIDIA chipset..

That's like having a GeForce4 with a Radeon chipset the KT400 chipset and the NVIDIA nForce2 chipset are two competing chipsets and can't possibly be on the same board...

Sorry that was a typo
    See

http://www.soltek.com.tw/English/product/75frn-r.htm

Originally posted by Raffaz
    Ive been wondering the same, im going to build a new pc soon, so i have been reading some reviews and the board im going with is the Asus A7N8X. Its got some good reviews, its an AMD board by the way.
    You stole my thoughts!

Unless MSI comes out with their nForce2 in Canada within the next 2 weeks, that's where I'll be headed too.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

A7N8X by Ausus is definetly my next board too. Ill probably build it in the spring sometime. I've got a KT7A-Raid right now from ABit, and I would definetly agree with the tweaking statement, took me forever to get it stable, but once I did, it ran great! I do feel a bit cheated though cause I have board revision 1.2 Which means I cant put on an Athlon XP processor on it...
    W

Yeah, its a wicked board and it beat the kia400 in the benchmarks for quite a few things, Im gonna use an athlon 2700+ thoroughbred and some pc3200 ramNot sure about graphics card, anyone got any suggestions, it will be a 128mb one that im looking for. Forgot to add that i might wanna overclock at some point so some OC features would be handy.

Mick
    Last edited by Raffaz; December 23rd, 2002 at 01:15 PM.

if its for my own personal machine, i'll use Asus, Gigabyte, Aopen, Abit or Epox. like some have already said, they all make great boards, you just may have to tweak it a bit. if i'm building a system for someone else, anymore i'll use nothing but Asus. them may be a more expensive, but they are rock solid stable. i don't want to deal with a quirky board in a customers machine, its not worth the hassle.

really the only boards i stay away from are MSI and ECS, i will not use one unless thats what the customer wants. even then i try to talk them out of it. i've had pretty good luck with everything else
    take care and tempt not the fates

Smile

Thanks for you replies

Dont think Ill be purchasing that MoBo that was just released though...hehe...sounds like a dooozy...but I like to purchase at least 1 to 2 years in the past. Cutting edge is too sharp on the wallet you know.

I have ONE MORE Question...The kind that everyone loves to hate....A thread burner Im sure, and if you kick the post, Ill understand.

If someone is more concerned about "stability" and "compatibility", Whch CPU type would you recommend?......AMD or INTEL.

There, I said it, Im all *** and elbos now!...later.

as long as you buy quality parts, (mobo, ram, psu) you'll be fine either way. i would also recommend that you get a retail box CPU so you'll have the 3 year warranty
    take care and tempt not the fates

I am looking at upgrading soon myself. I have been considering either AMD or Intel, cuz i am not biased either way, because both have ups and downs. but P4's do have that built in neatness of shutting down or downclocking cpu speed when it overheats, AMD's do not have this. Right now, the sweet spot i belive is 2.4Ghz, P4. It has a 533 bus, and is about 195 for the retail. Even considering AMD, with the lower clockspeed, the XP 2400 is 192 dollars, so not much of a price difference. I have compiled two "equal" AMD and Intel Systems on these processors, and for the Intel it is about 100 bucks more, this is building the P4 with Rambus.
    "Color outside the lines"

The CPU of your choice is just that, your choice. I will list a few facts and recommendations for you.

1. AMD and Intel make good cpus. Both will do well for you. You could make a year long argument over AMD vs Intel, but that is not something we want to do.

2. AMD is generally more inexpensive than Intel. This has never been in dispute. The money saved on the cpus can be put towards other things.

Like Buddy Holly said, get the Retail Box version of the processor. In the past, they have reportedly been known to be slightly better in quality than the OEM chips. Plus a 3 year warranty is always nice.

Get other quality parts. Don't settle for Joe's Bargin Basement RAM. Get Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin, Kingston etc.

With good "supporting parts" your choice of CPU will work great.
    U.S. out of U.N.

Do not buy cheap PSU - otherwise one day you will have to start building your PC again from scratch...

My experience is similar to others, I successfully used AMD substitutes through the PII and PIII phases. Now having a P4 on an Intel support chipset, I feel it is slightly more stable, eg no cranky shutdown after long uptime (long for Windows that is).

Some demanding applications may also be more stable with this configuration, eg PCTools (Error: should be ProTools), (music), quotes compatability difficulties with VIA chipsets. My supplier confirmed this in his experience also. Several music processing systems he missed out on by avoiding non-Intel & thus giving slightly higher quotes, he helped out later over their lockup/crashing experiences by converting to Intel. Whether this was just due to lower quality parts etc is an open question, but his view is Intel CPU/Intel Chipset - problem goes away.
    Last edited by Platypus; December 28th, 2002 at 09:01 AM.

I vote for:

Intel
    Asus
    Abit
    Tyan

My no-no list is:

FIC
    Epox
    Jetway
    You are born small and you die small. How you are in between is up to you.