CD/DVD player in Windows 98 won't work

Thread: CD/DVD player in Windows 98 won't work

CD/DVD player in Windows 98 won't work

Hope you can help. I either have some corrupted Windows 98 files and/or drivers that control the CD / DVD player in Windows 98, or the same in the special Windows 98 Win DVD decoder adapter. Cannot reload this (I have the CD) because the CD dies when I try to. I think it BEGINS with the decoder adapter, because in reseaching this, I found an article at Microsoft stating that the CD/DVD drivers won't load UNTIL it finds the decoder adapter. Problem is, I can't find it; some of the Windows 98 stuff is hard to find. It is by WinDVD, and it is version 1.2.96c, and I have the CD here. Any help you can assist with would be appreciated. Corrupt files or a registration problem? It's a Samsung SD606F with ATI software. Where in the registry can you fix this, and how? Getting _ins5176, _ins5576 and _isdel errors when trying to run a CD or DVD. Would greatly appreciate your knowledgeable response.

Hi vdrive,

Just a quick suggestion. If you can lay your hands on a second CD drive try installing it temporarily and using this to load the drivers for the DVD drive.

I don't have a lot of time at the moment to really look at this for you but this may get you round the problem of not being able to read a cd for DVD / CD drive to install it. Kind of catch 22 situation there for you.

emr

DVD and CD players are controlled by the IDE drivers... first thing to look at is your hard disk controllers (IDE controller) showing up correctly in device manager?

What motherboard and chipset do you have?

Does the cd rom and DVD player show up in my computer?

Could you link us to the article you read about the problem?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question

So vdrive1 is saying that his CD drive don't work properly ? & it can't read just this disk ... or all disks?

"_rstuvwxyz" means it hasn't read/installed correctly some compressed file from somewhere's .... it should have replaced '_' with 'q', in my example when it decompressed/installed it.

By the sounds of it the cd is found by windows ... but not understood ?

If its just an iffy CD simplest answer is to copy the contents of it to a temporary folder and try to run the install from there.