ASUS A7V266E and XP2100 Problems

Thread: ASUS A7V266E and XP2100 Problems

Unhappy ASUS A7V266E and XP2100 Problems

Anyone have any ideas. Just put an XP 2100 retail CPU on my a7v266 and after two days, the board just seems to stop running. The CPU seems to be running between 120 and 130 degrees which seems to be more than slightly hot.

After I shut the PC off for an hour, it seemed to be working just fine, but the problem started up all over again. The CPU is not being overclocked, the Heat Sink/Fan is from the retail box and I have a brand new Enermax 465 PS firing up the system. I know the memory is good....a pair of Kingston PC2100 DDR .5gig sticks.

Am I missing a setting in BIOS that I am not thinking of? If anyone has an idea, please give a holler!!

Thanks,
    Phil

130F is 55C, that is really hot. What are your temperatures at idle?

Have you installed the CPU and heatsink correctly, and what thermal compound did you use and how did you apply it.

Do you have any case fans either drawing in or exhausting air out of the case?

i would say it's heat.

This will tell you what's going on in real time, and see if the
    fan's are running.

things to try: take the panel off, see if that cools it a little, if it does pop in a 80 mm fan in the case.

MotherBoard monitor
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

figgered it out....

hey guys....thanks for all the ideas...

had about 92 fans in the system, but that wound up not being the issue..bit the bullet and bought a new Thermaltake Xaser 6000 case and the CPU is runnng at 84 degrees F. The Colorcase Hawk X that I had owned for two years was holding the heat by the CPU.

For any of you interested, take a look at this case at www.thermaltake.com. This is one fine fine piece of equipment.

Hey People... by the way... I'm running a couple of systems (Athlon XP 1700, XP 2000) in which the CPU normally runs at 56-60 Degrees Centigrades... is that SO bad?? What is the normal operation temperature?? Anybody Nows??
    El Barto was here

proper temperature....

El Barto,

I did quite a bit of looking around and found out in a pdf that was published by AMD that their processors will run quite warm and not fail. Let me take that a step farther.....
    the Athlon, Athlon XP, Duron and Duron Mobile will run from 70 degrees C to 100 degrees C, depending on the processor.

Included below for you is a link to check this out:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...tion_final.pdf

AMD says that they will still work...even though the cooler they run, the longer they will last.

Have a good one
    Phil

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    I've got the same board with a XP +2000 processor. One thing to remember is that the ASUS probe function is notoriously inaccurate. About 10°-12° F high. Even using MBM5 isn't the answer because it's still monitoring the ASUS probe. A couple of years ago I set up a probe using a groundwater monitoring temperature diode, much more accurate. I know there are several sites out there that market probes, or you can make one yourself. They are not expensive at all. The only bummer is taking off the HS/Fan & CPU and properly placing it.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Amd Heat

118-120 degrees f at idle and 127-130 degrees f doing digital video seems to be the norm for my Thunderbird 1400 with a Vantec 6040 heatsink and a total of 5 fans in the case.
    Jim

OOps forgot to tell you the rest

I also put the Thermaltake Volcano 7 on the XP2100.

Really keeps the CPU cool