would you own this ASUS MOBO? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: would you own this ASUS MOBO?

I like ASUS but am not sold on the SiS chipset.

Rojacks -

I wouldn't think of flaming you, because I used to have the exact same mindset. I would never even think about going non-Intel unless the budget I was given simply wouldn't allow it, and either way, the results were always predictable... the Intel based systems were almost always smooth sailing, while the AMD based systems seemed to cause one headache after another.

But with the advent of the Athlon XP (and the various supporting chipsets) this appears to have changed. Of course, this is strictly based on my own personal experience, so your mileage may vary. And BTW, when it came to building a new system for myself I did put my money where my mouth is and went with AMD. That would have been absolutely unheard of a year ago.
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

Originally posted by mrwilhelm
    Rojacks -

I wouldn't think of flaming you, because I used to have the exact same mindset. I would never even think about going non-Intel unless the budget I was given simply wouldn't allow it, and either way, the results were always predictable... the Intel based systems were almost always smooth sailing, while the AMD based systems seemed to cause one headache after another.

But with the advent of the Athlon XP (and the various supporting chipsets) this appears to have changed. Of course, this is strictly based on my own personal experience, so your mileage may vary. And BTW, when it came to building a new system for myself I did put my money where my mouth is and went with AMD. That would have been absolutely unheard of a year ago.
    The strange thing is I had a really good run with The K6 Cpu's for quite some time, I was using K6-350's and such on AMD approved Motherboards with VIA chipsets on them. I used Diamond Stealth PCI videocards and external modems. The systems were Fast, stable and very affordable. The fly in the ointment came when the motherboard source changed brands and the new board had an AGP slot and AMR on it plus built in sound. Basically no one ever got the AGP slot to work reliably

The onboard crystal audio was just plain nasty and I very guickly had to move to Intel Celerons and ATX form factor.

From the systems that come thru for service I have to say that I get a disproportional number of Athlons and Durons, however there are qualifiers to that statment. The systems are all really budget crap - Dinky little PSU's horrid tiny CPU coolers on MSI or Sovtek or PCChips motherboards.

The end of the Day I cannot experiment on my clients and if I do a system build - which I try and avoid if I can, I have to go with what I know. If you are not paying for My techs time an Athlon XP may be a good choice and If I had the time to fiddle I may even try one myself.

Sorry to say but Kids - Suppliers, Customers and Accounts keep me occupied.

(I just noticed that I still have an Kingston Turbochip 133Mhz AMD X5 class CPU on the shelf! - These were possible the best CPU upgrade Ever made, When I replaced many of the system that had X5-133Mhz customers complained that the new Computer was little faster and infact a 200MMX Intel or a Cyrix 233 were often slower. )
    <Help> Connect it to the one called SERIAL 1, look at the shape and make sure it is the right way before you gently push it on
    <User> It WON'T go on!
    <User> Wait a second....
    <User> 'Sound of breaking'
    <User> Thats it its on now!
    <User> ****! Now its fallen off!
    <Help> It should go on easily, what does the connector say next to it?
    <User> I think it says PARALLEL.
    <Help> Ok we will book an onsite call.
    <Tech> Replace M/B, Muppet had tried to connect Modem DB25 F/male to Parallel DB25 female.

Originally posted by Rojacks
    From the systems that come thru for service I have to say that I get a disproportional number of Athlons and Durons, however there are qualifiers to that statment. The systems are all really budget crap - Dinky little PSU's horrid tiny CPU coolers on MSI or Sovtek or PCChips motherboards.

The end of the Day I cannot experiment on my clients and if I do a system build - which I try and avoid if I can, I have to go with what I know.

"If I had the time to fiddle I may even try one myself."

I can relate in principal...I used to purchase low end electronics like "pyramid"...mainly cause I can fix or solder anything that uses electricity.

Learning curve for debugging computers is just too long...Especially when you learn something and NEVER NEED THAT INFO AGAIN...cause technology changes and all those gems of knowlege gather dust.

Ive heard only good about the Celerons...arnt they Reduced Instruction Set CPUs?
    I mean...They are less than half price the Pentiums!
    There has to be a draw back..What is it?

I have to agree with "Buy In Between"...thats what I want.

The current Celerons are essentially castrated P4's (reduced FSB and L2 cache). They're a good option for the average user who would probably never notice the difference, but considering the 3D gaming and CAD stuff you plan on doing I think you're still much better off with an Athlon XP or P4.

Originally posted by natb1
    About New Egg:

Sight is kinda clumbsy. I dont get what I expect when clicking links. For instance....Wheres the MOBO/CPU combos???
    newegg doesn't offer cpu/mobo combos. but with thier prices you really don't need it.

amd, intel, you'll be fine either way. just make sure to buy a good mobo, psu and ram.
    take care and tempt not the fates

Originally posted by Buddy Holly
    newegg doesn't offer cpu/mobo combos. but with thier prices you really don't need it.

amd, intel, you'll be fine either way. just make sure to buy a good mobo, psu and ram.
    That was the impression I got from new egg.
    I noticed that there are some nice prices on ASUS motherboards. And video cards are reasonable.

Im sure your right about the AMD...but...Im sooo scared to try them again....(biting nails)

Uhhh...PSU?

Tanks!

Uhhh...PSU?

Tanks!
    Power supply unit

enermax, antec are my favorites - or if you have no budget constraints pc power and cooling.

the antec true power lines are VERY nice. threw a true power 430Watt into my machine at home and it's a real nice PSU.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

That was the impression I got from new egg.
    I noticed that there are some nice prices on ASUS motherboards. And video cards are reasonable.

Im sure your right about the AMD...but...Im sooo scared to try them again....(biting nails)

Uhhh...PSU?

Tanks!
    i haven't seen it in the thread, but what kind of case are you planning on using? a new one or one you already have? you may have to get a new psu if you go amd or intel.

if you deciede to go amd, remember as long as you get a decent mobo, a amd certified psu and good ram you won't have any problems. most of the AMD stability problems i have seen have been the result of "low end" hardware.
    take care and tempt not the fates

Originally posted by Buddy Holly
    i haven't seen it in the thread, but what kind of case are you planning on using? a new one or one you already have? you may have to get a new psu if you go amd or intel.

if you deciede to go amd, remember as long as you get a decent mobo, a amd certified psu and good ram you won't have any problems. most of the AMD stability problems i have seen have been the result of "low end" hardware.
    I would get a new case and power supply.

AMD prices are hard to refuse....but my time has become more valuable lately.

Would you call MSI MOBOs "low end"?...or just ECS & PChips?
    Im not disrepecting anyones opinion..I JUST DONT WANT TO TROUBLESHOOT ANYMORE!

Im thinking ASUS/XP for <$150 or AUSUS/P4 @ $200..hmmm?

MSI is not low end. They make very high quality boards. There's nothing wrong with Asus except the price tag. Just keep in mind that the extra dough you'll be spending will be buying you the name, not extra quality.

FWIW, here's my recommendation:

MSI KT3 Ultra2 MB
    Athlon XP 1700-2100+
    256MB PC2700 RAM (Crucial, Samsung, Corsair, etc.)
    Antec case/PS

That configuration should install without a hitch, boot right up, and be rock solid stable. This is not theory BTW, I speak from experience.

Originally posted by mrwilhelm
    MSI is not low end. They make very high quality boards. There's nothing wrong with Asus except the price tag. Just keep in mind that the extra dough you'll be spending will be buying you the name, not extra quality.

FWIW, here's my recommendation:

MSI KT3 Ultra2 MB
    Athlon XP 1700-2100+
    256MB PC2700 RAM (Crucial, Samsung, Corsair, etc.)
    Antec case/PS

That configuration should install without a hitch, boot right up, and be rock solid stable. This is not theory BTW, I speak from experience.
    You know something?....I think Im going to do just that!
    I could use the extra money for case and PSU.

I may choose a different model number though.

If I dont get it running in a week...newegg will "exchange" the stuff right? Or give me credit toward something else?

P.S. ONE LAST ?...All the XP MOBOs indicate 200/266/333 Mhz FSB speed....BUT the Pentium MOBOs indicate 400/533 Mhz!

Isnt the faster numbers better?????
    Last edited by natb1; February 7th, 2003 at 05:53 PM.

Good choice, you won't be disappointed. Just keep in mind that the configuration I threw at you is based on my own personal experience with the exact products mentioned, so I can't speak for any substitutions you plan on making.

As far as newegg, someone else will have to chime in on that since I've never dealt with them personally.

P.S. ONE LAST ?...All the XP MOBOs indicate 200/266/333 Mhz FSB speed....BUT the Pentium MOBOs indicate 400/533 Mhz!

Isnt the faster numbers better?????

Different architectures, so it's comparing apples and oranges. It's confusing, but essentually the Athlon XP does more instructions per clock cycle than the P4, so the two are usually compared in regards to performance rather than raw clock speed.