problems with flash bios

Thread: problems with flash bios

Post problems with flash bios

ok I have a mobo soyo sy-7vda with 256mb PNYmemory DDR and a pentium III 1gb and using win 2000 professional,very nice mobo I download the bin file "7vda2aa1.bin" and the bios utility "awdflash.exe".before flash the bios I restart my pc to search my bios revision version and was in the begining on the startup "7vda-2aa1"so downloaded from the soyo web site both things.using the win98 bootdisk floppy i go to dos,type the utility and the bin file in dos and everything goes fine like the soyo instruction said no error messages no nothing show up updated the bios the utility said to save the bin file I said yes and at the end say was subcesfully the update so reset my bios and now wont bootup my system no video the floppy drive wont work the keyboard wont work my cdrom and cdrw looks like working the power led green light is off the HDD led stay lit i need your help is my first time to flash my bios...

sounds like 1 of 2 things:

incorrectly flashed BIOS or wrong BIOS flash rom. It can be reversed, read Ruslans BIOS Recovery Tips here

Good Luck.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

How did you reset the bios, by using the jumper on the motherboard?

If so, is it possible that you caught something else and unseated it slightly?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Smile thanks...

thanks for your reply ill going to try the ruslans tips,this is the first time i flash the bios on my pc and did it for courious but never have idea this going to happen to me i fix pc on my country i know about windows and all that stuff but this is new for me,let me tell you after finish to flash the bios i use the jp5 jumper to clear the cmos but not take off the power cable off the pc,i tried that too but nothing happen still the floppy drive like dead the led lights of the keyboard like dead just the cdrom and the cdrw still running,i see the led power light(the green one) off.the only thing i know is i did the flash like the soyo instruction say and during the flashing everything goes fine and the final say the update was successfuly no error message no nothing...

Thumbs up

what you saw is lesson no 1,never flash a bios unless there is a real need for it,i guess we all learn this the hard way,good luck
    clauded

Re: thanks...

That's the reason, why I hate awdflash utility - too many problems caused by using this utility... Even I have personally failed twice BIOS update on Soyo boards and all time because I was using awdflash, not because of wrong BIOS file... but fortunately for me, I knew, how to return it back, so ,it wasn't a tragedy for me ... but not everyone knows it, and not so many people out there are having spare motherboard for reflashing...
    So, I now use for reflashing only AMIflash utility (for non-ASUS boards) or Aflash (for ASUS boards)...
    ... and do not recommend to use awdflash for BIOS updating to anyone...

Anyway, good luck!
    And let me know, if you will need help with my tips...

tell me ruslan using ami flash could be back my bios when reflashing? im going to use your tips anyway,thanks to all your peoples for your help...

Originally posted by maxking
    tell me ruslan using ami flash could be back my bios when reflashing
    Nope, in your situation (boot-block is dead), only hot-swap in another motherboard can help. It is not nesessary be exactly the same motherboard as original, though... But at least that motherboard should have the same BIOS chip size as original...

I can reprogram your chip for you,(as last resort, if you'll be unable to do so), but it will take quite a lot of time to delivery and some extra costs for my postal expenses and my work.
    So, if your motherboard is still under warranty, I would recommend to return it back to supplier... at least, try it first

hi ruslan i did the reflash,but appear me the error message when been erasing the rom it say "flash rom erasing error"i dont know it if for the version of the utility is v8.26.09 and the version you specify is 8.53 i was a very nice experience ruslan i love this kind things to learn .I going to try difference version i need you experience on this...

you can get the latest version from AMI's site or from giga-byte.

hope it goes well.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.