d850gb Board

Thread: d850gb Board

d850gb Board

I have a d850gb board, and an P4 2.0ghz processor. Evertime i turn on my computer I get a "CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad" error and to hit F! to go into setup. The only way I can get to my desktop (windows xp) is to run the flash recovery disk. It then tell me to remove disk and reboot computer and it will go into windows with no prob. If I turn computer off I have to go through the same process again. I am currently running Intels bios version P18. I'm thinking it could have something to do with the fact that I have an engineering processor, (It has on it "INTEL Confidential" It was seeing it at 2.0ghz and now sees it at 1.4ghz? I don't care at this point if it runs at 1.4 or 2.0 I just want to get it to boot properly. Any suggestions?

bad mbr? have you tried fdisk \mbr? could be a virus too...have you run any AV software? Have you given XP a chance to run a recover?
    come to think of it....actually sounds like a bad bios flash......

I have tried a recovery, new bios downloads, even called intel support, they only could suggest that I try and find out what the original bios was, I tried everything from p4-p18, none work. I end up in the same loop. The battery is a good battery also.

Sounds like either a bad motherboard or a bad cmos chip

"A CMOS check sum error is usually caused by corrupted data in the CMOS memory. When the computer boots it adds all of the ones and zeros in the CMOS and drops the carry bit. It compares the resulting sum to a like (we hope) sum that was generated when the CMOS data was produced. If the two do not match, the CMOS is presumed corrupted, and an error is generated. The corruption can be caused by defective CMOS memory or power problems caused by a shorted motherboard, an expansion card that is not properly seated, a defective component, etc. "