Rundll32.exe - entry point not found

Thread: Rundll32.exe - entry point not found

Rundll32.exe - entry point not found

Hi all. Have a customers computer that keeps rebooting in the middle of her work. We had it in last week and ran all the usual hardware tests, virus and spyware scans etc. Anyways to make a long story short we swapped out the motherboard and reloaded WINXP over top. All progs I've checked so far seem to be fine but when I right click on "my computer" the following message pops up.

"Rundll32.exe - entry point not found

The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.DLL"

I click on OK and the System Properties window pops up and all seems to be OK.

No help at MS. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

What are the system specs of the system?

When you switched motherboards, were they the same or different models?

You may need to load up the latest proper chipset drivers for the mainboard.

Does that system have a Nvidia chipset based Videocard in it??

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;330159

Old board was Shuttle MV42N all-in-one(via chipset). New board is Shuttle MS52N all-in-one (SIS chipset). Installed all the new mainboard drivers and redid all Windows updates.

This system does have alot of prorietary software - its connected to the local Real Estate Board. It is a client on a SQL server. I suspect it's a version conflict with rundll32.exe. will check with the Real Estate Board's technical dept. tomorrow AM

I'm still not convinced the problem was with the mobo to begin with. Another problem was it would not wake up in the morning - I still have it in my shop and I'll find out tomorrow AM when I go in and see if it's still running.
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

Does it happen when XP is fresh or after a certain piece of software is installed? Some programs have a bad habbit of replacing system files and sometymes the "autorestore" feature doesn't do it's job. I would go step by step from a fresh system, first by installing latest SP, then all drivers and then the software needed. Also try to run sfc.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

So far so good. It was awake this morning, no lockups or reboots. We'll monitor the rundll32.exe message to see if it's an issue later on. CeeBee a fresh install is always the best way to go but in this case only as a last resort. Due to the special software installed the system would be have to be shipped to another city to have it re-installed and then shipped to the customer where someone else has to come in and set it up for them. Big pain in the a**. I'll hope it doesn't come to that.

Cheers!

It's likely not a hardware problem..."Entry point not found in XXX" errors are almost ALWAYS caused by an old version of the file. dlls are updated occasionally and new prgrams (XP, for example) look for the new functionality...obviously you won't find it in the old dll, hence the error. Try this: make a copy of the rundll, move it to temp on your c drive, install all the softwware the image requires, then move the rundll back to it's original location, overwriing whatever version of rundll is there...

You're most likely correct. I'm sure the rundll file was updated by other software added later. Customers problem is the machine has to be sent away for the software to be re-installed. It's proprietary software and there is no way around it. I checked with client again last friday and all seems to be ok

Thanks for the help all!

I have a similar problem. I Installed XP Pro over XP Home and am getting the same error.

I don't seem to be having any other problems though either

Hi Jeb. Never did resolve this one but I'm sure it just refers to a incorrect .dll version somewhere. As long as everything works I'd just leave it alone.

Froghead, I fixed my problem simply by installing SP1

Question entry point not found

I have the same problem...I loaded tax software...loaded ok on my laptop but I get the "Taxpro.exe - entry point not found" message even tho the deduction protion of the software loaded and works ok...any Ideas?

Welcome to WinDrivers, Goldfinger.

This topic is nearly six years old, so the previous discussion is probably not going to be relevant.

What version of Windows is being used, and is the software declared compatible with that version?

What is the full error message you get?