Unmountable Boot Volume

Thread: Unmountable Boot Volume

Lightbulb Unmountable Boot Volume

Can anyone refresh my memory?I have dealt w/ this problem before.Running XP,HP computer,same kind I this problem before.
    Thanks ahead of time!!!!
    Best regards,
    3M

http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...=&pagenumber=2

if you had this problem before search the forums...see if you can figure it out again...just hit search and the info that you want to search for....
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

or try this:
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/inst...nmountable.htm

basically, if you put your windows disk in, and get to the first option for repair..the repair console, then run checkdisk /f from the repair console
    Last edited by geoscomp; March 18th, 2003 at 11:59 AM.

You might try something that worked for me last night on a Packard Bell. Hit F8 to get the boot menu, select Safe Mode with command prompt. Type chkdsk /f , hit enter. It will tell you the volume is locked and ask if you want to run chkdsk on the next bootup. Hit y and reboot.
    It saved my customer from having to use PB's recovery method which is boot from a floppy and reimage the disk from a hidden partition. Cheapskates don't even provide a recovery CD.
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

Gahhh..Packard Bell?..I didn't realize they were still around Must be just trying to forget them

Packard Bell ran out of mugs on your side of the Atlantic. Unfortunately, they're still flogging crap to n00bs on this side of the pond. I can't complain too much, it does give me something to do

drakkan

"Unmountable Boot Volume" Message When Entering Windows XP

Affected Products: Software
    Affected Operating Systems: Windows® XP

ISSUE: When starting the computer in either Normal mode or Safe mode, you receive an "Unmountable Boot Volume" message, and you are unable to enter Windows.

RESOLUTION: Use the following steps to resolve this issue.

Start the computer to the Recovery Console, and then run Chkdsk /r.

Note: If you receive a message that the password is not valid when entering the Recovery Console, verify that you are typing it correctly.

After the test completes, attempt to start the computer and enter Windows XP. If the computer enters Windows XP, the issue is resolved. To prevent this from happening again, use Windows Update to download and install the patch labeled "Critical Update, February 10, 2002", as discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q315403. This NTFS patch (Q315403.exe), part number 9519407, is also available on Gateway Drivers CD version 19.4 - later.

Question

Hey Jeff!

I've been scouting about the Net for hours now, and this post seems to be the closest to my problem:

Packard Bell PC hangs when starting windows (XP): it goes all the way to displaying the desktop, but no icons, and no start bar, so there's not a lot to do, really, except contemplate the pretty picture... I'm done doing that by now!!!

No Windows XP cd provided, of course, so I have to get into that "secret boot partition" (or is this an urban myth??) somehow... The F8 solution you suggested, will it preserve data, or will it restore the system the way it was in the beginning?

Thanx a lot in advance, any ideas are welcome!!!

: ) Mimz

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Brit
    You might try something that worked for me last night on a Packard Bell. Hit F8 to get the boot menu, select Safe Mode with command prompt. Type chkdsk /f , hit enter. It will tell you the volume is locked and ask if you want to run chkdsk on the next bootup. Hit y and reboot.
    It saved my customer from having to use PB's recovery method which is boot from a floppy and reimage the disk from a hidden partition. Cheapskates don't even provide a recovery CD.

No danger to your data, unless the data structures are REALLY screwed or the hard disk is full of bad sectors.
    That hidden partition is accessed by booting from the Recovery Floppy (posh name for a crap idea). This re-images the hard drive with a factory fresh install of Windows ready set up for the PB hardware. Wave bye-bye to all your programs and data if you are forced to use this.
    If you have a CD writer on the box, there is some software included which lets you burn a single copy of the restore partition as a one time deal. It erases the hidden restore partition afterwards and you can use the space for an extra logical drive.

ok, thanx... I had to do a destructive recovery finally, but it seems to work ok now.

where does it give you the opportunity to type in Chkdsk /r? because nothing gives me a chance to do so? please help

Welcome to WinDrivers, gmoczulski.

Are you trying to access the Recovery Console as suggested above?

To run chkdsk /r from the recovery console, follow these steps:

1. Restart the computer with the Windows installation CD.
    2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
    4. When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, press ENTER.
    5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
    6. When Chkdsk has finished running, read the results, and then take any necessary steps to complete the process. For example, you may be prompted to run chkdsk /f to fix certain problems.
    7. Remove the CD and restart the computer.