WinXP client can't log in to Domain due to time synchronization error
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WinXP client can't log in to Domain due to time synchronization error

Question WinXP client can't log in to Domain due to time synchronization error

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to troubleshoot the error in logging in to win2000 domain using a certain winxp client. only one actually among six winxp clients. User said his clock on windows had to be updated manually every day since the time he started using it, which is about 4 months ago.

It kept saying upon login that the time on local doesn't match with the network time. login error.

I tried to resync using dos based "w32tm /resync /nowait /discover" with success but still when I restart, I still get the same problem.

I ruled out server problems, since this client is the only one which has the problem, the other five is working ok.

BTW, I already replaced battery on motherboard with a sure working one, and used the old one on mine, and the battery is ok.

any feedback is most welcome.

Thanks in advance
    what the heck?

the only thing i can think of is the old school 98 fix for time issues..... whack the timedate.cpl file !!! this forces windows to use the bios time in plain windows and should push to the server time on a domain, sounds good to me i would try it if the file exists in xp heehee!!!

in winxp you can have the computer to every day/night logon and reset the clock.....can't remember if you can do that with win 2k pro...http://www.greyware.com/software/dom...ger/update.asp

this should work....
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

How about using:

NET TIME \\SERVER /SET /YES

In the netlogon batch file?

I use it with my samba based domain and it works just fine.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I'm currently not using netlogin batch files for the other 5 working xp clients, but it's worth a try, how do I create one? I mean, is it "netlogin.bat"?

Thanks
    what the heck?

Originally posted by dirkpitt
    I'm currently not using netlogin batch files for the other 5 working xp clients, but it's worth a try, how do I create one? I mean, is it "netlogin.bat"?

Thanks
    Well in samba you can set it up to a global file (ie netlogin.bat) for everybody or you can setup so that it is *username*.bat and you can have seperate batch files for each user. But for the most part all's you do is put the above mentioned command in a file named *something*.bat and then push it to the client at each startup. You can also use this to map drives on startup (I'm not real familiar with Win2k server so there might be some other way of doing this).
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

Could this be it?

Troubleshooting
    Clients not synchronized with servers can occur if the Windows Time service has been stopped manually. To resolve this issue, start the Windows Time service.

To start the Windows Time service:
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    Type net start w32time, and then press ENTER.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

gollo,

tried it, but still to no avail.

and yes the windows time service is active and doesn't have any errors
    what the heck?

Dead bios battery? Maybe when the machine gets shut off at night it reboots with the default time/date from the bios.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Originally posted by silencio
    Dead bios battery? Maybe when the machine gets shut off at night it reboots with the default time/date from the bios.
    That would be my second guess.

Is the bios keeping the correct time and windows not? Or is the bios losing as well?

This was stated on my first post " User said his clock on windows had to be updated manually every day since the time he started using it, which is about 4 months ago.
    BTW, I already replaced battery on motherboard with a sure working one, and used the old one on mine, and the battery is ok.
    "
    what the heck?

But you didn't say if the bios time is correct, and the windows time is not. There are things which can cause this even if the bios is keeping the correct time, such as some kinds of software, low system resources, etc. With atx motherboards, the time is usually kept even if the battery is bad, because there is always power to the motherboard unless the system is unplugged

yup, bios and windows time on local machine is ok and synchronized.

the problem occurs only when logging to domain(win2kserver), but I can login locally if I unplug the lan cable
    what the heck?

Problem solved!

just had to update to SP1

Thanks to all for your inputs !!!
    what the heck?