DDR ram

Thread: DDR ram

DDR ram

My motherboard - ecs K7s5a only supports pc2100 ddr ram

my question is.....if i buy pc3200 ddr ram (for future board) will it work in this board @ 2100 (kinda like pc133 worked as pc100 in the older days) until i get my new board

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    In every instance i have seen, yes.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

I've never found much value in buying memory now for the future. Why not get PC2100 and send it with the ECS at the time of a future upgrade? By then the memory you need will probably be cheaper, or you might want something different like Dual Channel, or whatever suits the board you ultimately get.

Just a thought.

I think you'll probably find it'll support faster RAM, when the board was originally designed there wasn't any faster stuff .... (all the reviews I find are from 2001)

What if any bios options do you have for ram/memory, on newer ddr systems you often see a bios option 'Memory Speed' which lets you select whether this should run at the same speed as the FSB, or faster, or even slower (as in you having say pc1600).... have a looksee....

Everywhere still does sell 266 ddr doesn't it?

IF you get some faster memory make sure you set the memory speed for the slowest stick, otherwise the memory controller will try to use the fastest speed it can find, so if you've put the fastest stick in slot 0 it'll find that first and assume all the other sticks are that fast, leaving you with an unstable system, getting it to boot & it being stable are two different things....

But Platypus (as per...) has the right idea, put matching mem in for now or put up with it until you are sure what you might need for any new board, I hear the letters QDR (quad-ruple data rate!) in the wind......QDR