Swapping Platters
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swapping Platters

Swapping Platters

I've got a drive that crashed (10Gig IBM). I've got an identical drive that works. Has anyone tried repairing a drive by swapping out the platters? Should take less than an hour so I'm going to give it a shot just for the hell of it.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

You'll probably need a clean room...

If it works, it will only work for a short spell. Any debris that you get inside the drive, including microscopic dust particles, can crash any of the heads, and cause damage.

But, I do wish you luck!

hehehe good luck that will be a mission to do.. any ways, why are you replacing plotters if you got an identical working drive ?? experimentation ??

good luck
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

i was reading an article on one of those case modding website about that new mod for installing a sight window and light kit inside of the hard drive, looked cool but scared the hell out of me but they were very detailed on the procedure to reduce damage that may be caused, i will look for the link but i vaguely remember that they suggested to do the repair in a bathroom, but leave the hot water running for soem time to create humidity that would reduce the chance of flying debris .... good luck if all else fails you will have 2 sets of badass magnets! strong as hell

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    The platters also make great mirrors.

...and coasters as well.
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

That drive might still be under warranty. Might want to check it out.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

I've ran a drive uncapped (top cover removed) for months straight, with no issues.

It wasn't until I took a marker and made a "spiral" with it while it was spinning did the problems develop.

Try it, but remember to be EXTREMELY careful, and try to take it apart a layer at a time.

It can be done, and once you do, make a ghost image.

Originally posted by kannibul
    I've ran a drive uncapped (top cover removed) for months straight, with no issues.

It wasn't until I took a marker and made a "spiral" with it while it was spinning did the problems develop.

Try it, but remember to be EXTREMELY careful, and try to take it apart a layer at a time.

It can be done, and once you do, make a ghost image.
    You crrraaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyy man!

Nobody has mentioned this yet but I really don't think it will work.

Once you replace a disk platter and/or it's data head, it will need to be aligned so that cylinder 0 and sector 0, etc. are where they are physically supposed to be. You can't do this without the proper test equipment. Just trying to "eye-ball" it simply won't work. If you do go ahead and successfully replace the platter, it will have to be reformatted so that again, sector 0 will line up with all of the other platters' sector 0.

Having said that, we are all waiting to see how it all comes out. Please post the outcome.

And oh yeah, good luck.

Cool

like the old saying been there done that and it won`t work,you will have 2 dead drives
    clauded

if it has multiple platters then don't get them misaligned. if they are out back together wrong then the whole thing is screwed.
    I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol! -Homer Simpson

Originally posted by JaxSon
    Nobody has mentioned this yet but I really don't think it will work.
    Once you replace a disk platter and/or it's data head, it will need to be aligned so that cylinder 0 and sector 0, etc. are where they are physically supposed to be. You can't do this without the proper test equipment. Just trying to "eye-ball" it simply won't work. If you do go ahead and successfully replace the platter, it will have to be reformatted so that again, sector 0 will line up with all of the other platters' sector 0.

Having said that, we are all waiting to see how it all comes out. Please post the outcome.

And oh yeah, good luck.

He's damn right! I did it personally few times at home (just only for experiment ), but was sucsessful only with single-platter HDDs, after few failed attempts...

I'm did not clearly understand - why to replace platters, if possible just to replace whole mechanics without disassembling it (both of the drives are the same model)??

ruslan you're back!!!! finally some advice with rusian experince...

did the freezer trick not work on the disk drive?

and is this for a real reason of s-n-g's
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

I tried that once, 'coz my 17GB backup drive burnt out on me, and the freezer trip didn't work. Now, I'm using it as a frisbee.

goodluck
    what the heck?