Lets Blow Our Trumpet!

Thread: Lets Blow Our Trumpet!

Lets Blow Our Trumpet!

I was sent this - such a nice way to start the day

The text to follow is my answer for the survey question in PC magazine's recent online poll. The question was asking about your best and worst experiences with technical issues and repairs.

Original custom-built machine has been re-built twice. Experience has taught me to either learn how to do things for myself, or pay the long dollar for technicians who really don't give much personal attention to the goals and objectives I have for my software and pc. The rules of the day seem to be:
    "get it running, and don't worry if it doesn't purr."
    "teach and show just enough features for the customer to screw things up again, in about 6 months.

Microsoft has lousy tech service. It's maddening for the non-tech user who's trying to go to the "industry leader" of "state of the art" software for help. After trying to figure out vague "help" texts, and become familiar with the terms- just to state the problem - one can quickly rue the day they have to contact MS support. You'd better not have a real job, so you can linger at the computer waiting for an answer to the carefully constructed question you sent them. When you do get an answer, it's usually in the ballpark, but closer to the concession stand than the playing field. It's then that you realize you are corresponding to someone for whom English is a secondary language - no wonder they are eager to archive your case if you don't reply within 6 hours that they had the miracle cure.

The very best help I've had in years came from the technicians at www.windrivers.com. I visited the free chatroom, just to feel it out, hoping to find a tiny glint of light. What I found was akin to brilliant sunlight breaking through clouds. Here was a treasure trove of real answers, patient guidance, and encouragement from working technicians - people who were not only experts, but also caring people, passionate about sharing their knowledge in order that you could once again fall in love with your computer.
    I am trying to track down the pc mag page in question, but aint that nice?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Banned
    Wow, maybe if I actually tried to help people out rather then be a lounge lizard this place would be superduperly magnificent!!!!

Originally posted by Cleetus
    Wow, maybe if I actually tried to help people out rather then be a lounge lizard this place would be superduperly magnificent!!!!
    You are being hard on yourself. You are not a lounge lizard. The Lounge Inbreed perhaps, but not the lizard.

Originally posted by Cleetus
    Bring your dirt-poor behind into chat and help........

This type of praise is rare, makes it all seem worthwhile.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

All right!

I'm just surprised they didn't cite you by name for helping them, Noo.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I love this forum.. i see my friend here at work on it all the time and i used to give him crap about it.. i decided to give it a try and now i am addictive to the forum.. i go through the threads and learn about problems and fixes.. and also try to help people out.. regardless of the topic.. i enjoy everything about the forum.. wich means you will see a lot of me around.. hehehehe
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

Originally posted by a d e p t
    All right!

I'm just surprised they didn't cite you by name for helping them, Noo.
    Twasn't me that helped that time
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Seems the real point is missed.....

This particular person came to the CHATROOM hanging her head and near to tears. There were several people there who over a long period helped sort her issues out.

Day after day we put up with threats and name-calling......

ALL of us there donate our time to assist those that we can.

As I stated earlier, this type of praise is rare.......
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Originally posted by DocPC

What is this "Praise" thing that you speak?
    U.S. out of U.N.

That is a very nice recommendation.

congrads to everyone in the chat room and the forums.....know we have proof that we rock!

yah i'm lame
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

Sometimes you get sworn at but yeah its the ones like Nea there that make it all worth while, or when a guest says hey thanks my sounds working again after a marothon and frustrating hour of help.....but over all its worth it otherwise none of us would be there.....
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

praise like that is very rare. Someone going through the trouble to write that out shows that they where truly impressed.

me, i've withdrawn from the forums alot.... but we all help in our own way.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Agreed

Originally posted by DocPC
    Seems the real point is missed.....

This particular person came to the CHATROOM hanging her head and near to tears. There were several people there who over a long period helped sort her issues out.

Day after day we put up with threats and name-calling......

ALL of us there donate our time to assist those that we can.

I would agree completely with Doc. Day after day we are called names, threatened, told we arent any help and told we know anything. Its a rare thing to get thanked and its appreciated all the more. Be nice to see a few people like this on a regular basis but I guess thats asking alot of today's society
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Lost in a world of confusion, unable to freemymind
    i work on a help desk, and its great, you get men, always men, who think they know what theyre doing and dont like it that you know more than them, but 95% of women that i sort out are so grateful, sometimes its actually really hard to get rid of them, they are so sweet....

but the men tend to be grumpy...

mind you, whenever i phone helplines, (which granted isnt too often, unless its a creative piece of junk ) im always grumpy and go in thinking i know more than the monkey on the other end. guess its a proud man thing....

/end ramble...
    No girl deserves my tears, and the one who does will never make me cry.