Which one is it, the Mainboard or the CPU?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which one is it, the Mainboard or the CPU?

Which one is it, the Mainboard or the CPU?

I have a system I built a while ago back in my shop, I got complaints about freezing and slow performance since I had updated the OS from Win98 to Win XP. I took the system back and determined to Put Win98 Back on to see if that was indeed the problem or just "User Error" I noticed freezes when attempting to back up data from it across my network and after 3 or 4 restarts the screen would go "black" after the XP Logo but before the desktop. I thought that strange - kind of like a Overheating issue, but figured maybe once I wiped the drive the problem would clear up. Last night I did a Fdisk and format, but at the completion of the format the system froze
    I pulled out all cards but Video and tried again.
    No luck, I noticed the sound of a "power dip" when the problem would arise so I swapped power supplies,
    No luck, Finally pulled all drives off the Mainbord and now all it does is Post till the Memory counts and then hangs.

I'm leaning toward the Processor, becuase of the random freezes and Hang at post. But I'm not sure if the Mainboard is not the problem.
    Here are the specs:

AMD Thunder Bird SLOT A (not socket).
    MSI MAINBOARD (Don't remeber the model - among the first available for this CPU)
    128mb SDRAM
    20 GIG MAxtor HD

I would normally swap CPUs but due to its age I don't have one available, I can pick one up cheep but I'll be stuck with it if it is the mainboard. What do you guys think?

Try replacing the memory. Those boards were very picky about memory types/brands.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

and don't rule out power supply either.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Snip
    I noticed the sound of a "power dip" when the problem would arise so I swapped power supplies.
    Snip

I swapped the existing 250watt with a 350watt

removed everything but the ram and cpu..
    reseat the cpu..
    clean the contacts of the ram with a clean ereaser..
    reboot pc... lets see if you post.

good luck
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

Dont forget to clear CMOS, possibly previous user decided to tweak the bios to make the pc run better like one of the "mook technicians" we have here at work and we always have to go behind him and fix what he "improved" if it was me i would do what peligroso said with the exception of swapping out memory sticks if you have spares, also i would check all of the jumper settings if applicable, maybe there might be an improper voltage setting or muiltiplier (Damn overclockers!) good luck let us know

I missed the bit about swapping the PS.. . . sorry. if you really think you've got it down to CPU or mainboard, I'd just replace both. parts are cheap enough these days.

that's what I've mainly been doing. if it's down to CPU or mainboard, I usually just swap everything. then verify each component at a later date when I have lots of time to kill and test hardware.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Funny enough I encouraged the owner to upgrade (becuase he was having other problems which I thought could be solved with an upgrade. But after multiple attempts to address his problem with the Softeware Fix (OS upgrade) and then a heated argument I was just going to go back to 98 and be done with him.
    Now I might have to call him and say that now he definitly needs to upgrade.
    This will be interesting to say the least.
    Last edited by pochrist1; April 24th, 2003 at 03:08 PM.

upgrade is definitely the way to go.. i would say upgrade is the solution to most hardware problems..
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

Well I reseated the Ram and Reset the bios, now it posts, I plugge in the HD and Floppy, Ran A Maxtor Quck test which says the drive passed, I'm attempting to format as I write this, it fails to complete this format, I'll be stumped, unless the IDE controller on the Mother board failing. I'll update later with the results.

Glad it is finally behaving and posting for you, maybe try another ide cable for that hard drive as well or move it to the secondary channel and try to format it again to make sure the promary ide is not the issue, let us know!

Well it formated fine and installed Windows 98 SE, But when I went ot log into windows for the first time it froze
    Now I'll swap out the memory, it seems more logical now.

What is the CPU? also is the fan working alright? and I know it sounds strange but have you tested the CMOS battery, I have seen some weird things happen when these suckers run low. Um, heat compound isn't cracked and dry is it? sorry im asking so many questions, just cant see the answers in your post.

Hope this helps.. let us know
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Originally posted by Kineda
    Dont forget to clear CMOS, possibly previous user decided to tweak the bios to make the pc run better like one of the "mook technicians" we have here at work and we always have to go behind him and fix what he "improved"
    What would the tech do to "improve" the settings in the BIOS? Are they max tweaks for performance or clueless changes, thinking they are better than default or stable settings?

Originally posted by NetScum
    What would the tech do to "improve" the settings in the BIOS? Are they max tweaks for performance or clueless changes, thinking they are better than default or stable settings?