Which one is it, the Mainboard or the CPU? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which one is it, the Mainboard or the CPU?

god dam websence it whack my reply, forget it i was goign to explain but i dont feel like typing all of that again.....

Well the problem for all intents and purposes seems to the Memory, after running multiple memory tests the orginal Ram would lock up, after I swapped it with some of my ram the computer ran through test with no prob's.

Originally posted by Kineda
    Dont forget to clear CMOS, possibly previous user decided to tweak the bios to make the pc run better like one of the "mook technicians"
    This is what cleared the intial problem I had, I built the system and it will be 3yrs old in may. I setup and tweaked the bios then. and it only had these really bad problems when I picked it up 2 weeks ago. I have to believe the owner was messing with the Bios in an attempt "Fix" his problem.

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

Just as I thought........
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Well the rules have just changed

After all this I thought I was free and clear... I formated and put on Win98, just one lock up Before I swapped the memory, then after updating Win98 and putting on some drivers. I decide its Ok to go on and put back the Applications, I install Office 97, down load the SR1 & SR2 and in the middle of installing SR1 the screen goes Blank!

I restart goto Power Schemes and make sure the computer doesn't goto sleep and set all settings to Never. I attempt to install SR1 and poof the screen goes Blank again!

OK back to square one, So what is it now?

Have we discussed video?

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Matrox G400 32MB, AGP I'm open to anything at this point, of course now is it the slot or the card? I have PCI card I can pop in. But other than putting in another AGP card is there anyway to test the slot itself?

Not really a way to test the slot without expensive equiptment.

Swapping is the best way.....and cheapest.

Originally posted by kato2274
    ...... if you really think you've got it down to CPU or mainboard, I'd just replace both. parts are cheap enough these days....
    ... ok ... you find me a slot A motherboard then .... come to think of it you find me a slot A processor ... they came & went very quickly ! this is slot not socket!

I'm confus-ed again by all of this "I built the system and it will be 3yrs old in may" ... SO ? Isn't it time to sell him some new stuff ? Parts are cheap!

Cheaper than you spending all this time on WD trying to 'fix' it anyways

Originally posted by confus-ed
    ... ok ... you find me a slot A motherboard then .... come to think of it you find me a slot A processor ... they came & went very quickly ! this is slot not socket!

I'm confus-ed again by all of this "I built the system and it will be 3yrs old in may" ... SO ? Isn't it time to sell him some new stuff ? Parts are cheap!

Cheaper than you spending all this time on WD trying to 'fix' it anyways
    that's exactly what I was saying confused. replace both the CPU and motherboard meaning with NEWER components because as you said tracking down slot A components can be difficult.

funny enough but the original poster understood what I meant

Funny enough I encouraged the owner to upgrade (becuase he was having other problems which I thought could be solved with an upgrade. But after multiple attempts to address his problem with the Softeware Fix (OS upgrade) and then a heated argument I was just going to go back to 98 and be done with him.
    Now I might have to call him and say that now he definitly needs to upgrade.
    This will be interesting to say the least.
    but someone of your obvious high intellect didn't get it. it seems that sometimes you just want to correct people to make yourself feel better than everyone else, the smartest kid on the block . . . . even when there is nothing to correct.
    Last edited by kato2274; April 30th, 2003 at 06:43 AM.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

that's exactly what I was saying confused. replace both the CPU and motherboard meaning with NEWER components because as you said tracking down slot A components can be difficult.

funny enough but the original poster understood what I meant

but someone of your obvious high intellect didn't get it. it seems that sometimes you just want to correct people to make yourself feel better . . . . even when there is nothing to correct.
    Mmmm ... I'm obviously too clever for you then ... or more likely too clever for myself ....

The point I was making, none too clearly it would appear , was that after 'heated arguement' and various abortive software fixes .... pochrist1 was now gonna have to go & tell his customer what he did in the first place !!

Been there ! done that ! Bought the T-shirt ! Now how likely is it that pochrist1 will get paid fully for all this !?!, he should have stuck to his guns ....

But pochrist1 dug the hole .... you can realistically only support hardware that you have spares for otherwise you can't test components without fancy equipment, the only easy way being swapping, so he should have said so. He realistically didn't know what the f. was up (see the original post) so he was trying to do it the cheapest way (skinflint customer) .... but he didn't have the bits ... so no doubt the customer 'blagged' him into trying a s/w fix ... 'cos it was allright before.... see where I'm going ?

All this will end with it being 'cheaper' for the customer, but I doubt very much for pochrist1 if only in time spent ....

So there's plenty to 'correct' ? ... if you must use that ... 'Hang on post' gave it away as a hardware issue in the original question... why pochrist1 ever got 'persuaded' that it was s/w is beyond me .....

Applogies for being confus-ed...apparently... I am being confus-ing while trying to be ammus-ing and merely creating confus-ed-ness

sorry confused I understand and agree 100% with what you just said. I've just been a little on edge and defensive the last couple of days . . . . sorry
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Talking Oh no you are fully excus-ed !

sorry confused I understand and agree 100% with what you just said. I've just been a little on edge and defensive the last couple of days . . . . sorry
    Now you know why I have this name, I can be deliberately 'manipulative' with my choice of phrase ... if you don't have your 'right head on' it can be difficult to appreciate my attempts at humour ... it can be difficult for some even with the 'correct' head !!

As 'the smartest kid on the block' .... I can absolve you from all offence (boths senses!)

Unhappy

why pochrist1 ever got 'persuaded' that it was s/w is beyond me .....
    Here's the reason; He is my Step-sisters husband, and has been quick to point out that he was doing me a favor 3rs ago by letting do the system for his little business. Now with all the problems he's crying about how come the Motherboard - Processor - CPU & Power supply will have to be replaced if I upgrade. I thought you told me this computer is better because it was upgradeable he whines.
    So at this point I want to be 100% That it is the Mainboard/cpu that needs to be replaced.

Because once this is over He will do my one last favor - He will leave me the f#@k alone :butt:

Arrow Never work with animals or children ...

... or relatives !

I take it its your 'evil' step brother who can kiss Bart's behind...

The only way you can be sure of your cpu board combo is to test them seperately, but you knew that.

The 'hole' is dug !

How long is a 'relative' warranty, the same length of time as 'upgradeable' ? & I mean that in all sincerity....

For how much time & stress this obviously is to you, I'd have bought a second hand board & then chip, & fix-ed it, said nothing, then tell him to whistle in future ....