Which one is it, the Mainboard or the CPU? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Which one is it, the Mainboard or the CPU?

Relatives ... shudder ....

They don't even pay well nor have they any idea what the work is worth... let's not go there
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

heh, ain't that the truth
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

I know I am chiming in a little late on this one but I just read it and I had very similar problems with a Slot A Athlon 500MHz (when they 1st came out... yeah baby!!!)

Anywho, I started noticing hangup problems and things like that so I first ran Sandra diagnostics and come to find out, it showed that my Slot A Athlon had no L2 Cache at all.

Well of course we know this not to be true so I got in a 750MHz Thunderbird Slot A (yes they make them with the on die 256kb L2 Cache) and viola' problem solved.

Thankfully I was using an AMD board and it was able to recognize and handle the T-Bird.
    If its not broke, then upgrade anyways!

Who ever said computers were logical?

Well here's what happens when the screen goes Blank, you can hear an audible change in the computer, like it drops down a pitch, like you switched from high to low, now I have swapped out the PSU and that doesn't change things, can a Bad video card cause that too?

that's really weird. It sure sounds like a power sag, but you swapped out PSU so you kinda already covered that.

Hard drive? have you run it through the manufactures diagnostic test suite?
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Originally posted by pochrist1
    Well here's what happens when the screen goes Blank, you can hear an audible change in the computer, like it drops down a pitch, like you switched from high to low, now I have swapped out the PSU and that doesn't change things, can a Bad video card cause that too?
    Umm sounds like powermanagement settings ....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hard drive? have you run it through the manufactures diagnostic test suite?
    Yea, and of caurse it Passed. But prior to resetting the BIOS it pulled the Blank-screen-Power Dip during 3 attempted DOS Formats

Umm sounds like powermanagement settings ...
    Now Do you mean BIOS Power managment or Windows?
    I leave the Bios settings as default, But when this "re-started" in Windows 2 days ago I set all Windows Power Managment settings to NEVER. It happens during activity. Like when I was installing a Patch I downloaded.

Originally posted by pochrist1
    Yea, and of caurse it Passed. But prior to resetting the BIOS it pulled the Blank-screen-Power Dip during 3 attempted DOS Formats

do you have a known good you can swap in? I've had Bad drives pass the diags but still be bad. I'd swap a good drive in and see if the behavior repeats or goes away.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

We sold a small number of the SLOT A thunderbird cpus, and had similar issues. Also had a problem with overheating to the point of starting fires in the pcs. We ended up recalling all these that we sold (only took us 3 weeks to find this out) and replaced them for customers.

AMD had directed us to recall them, and we got 100% compensation for them.
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...