MOcrosoft Virtual Machine+CD Update
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MOcrosoft Virtual Machine+CD Update

Unhappy Microsoft Virtual Machine+CD Update

Can Anyone Help Me? I have an older computer and runing Windows 95. I can't seem to find a Microsoft Update CD to download Microsoft Virtual Machine. Without one, I can't enter chat rooms, play certain games, etc. This computer was a gift so what I have is all I have. I tried downloading from the internet, but after I did so, I didn't have enough room to run anything. Can anyone help? I am in NO Way a techie, or even remotely Knowledgeable, but I am reasonably bright, and can follow instructions. I also need a power supply to boost the sound. I have a sound card, I know, because I have the speaker Icon on my control panel, and because my brother ( the giver of the computer) said so. He is also the one who said I needed a power supply, but I haven't been able to get him to reply to any messages since Xmas. The speakers are attached to the sides of the monitor, and there is a female "spot" to plug in the adapter. Many thanks in advance.
    Starter

Hi Starter,

Numerous people here should be able to help you.

To power your speakers you should be able to get a multi-voltage plugpak, which will give you a selection of connectors, one of which should suit your speakers. To avoid possibly damaging them, you'll need to know what voltage the speaker supply needs to be, perhaps 6 Volt, and what polarity. Is the socket on the speakers labelled with a voltage and + & - signs?

For the Virtual Machine, if there's no room on your system to install the downloaded one, a CD probably wouldn't help you either. It sounds like the system needs a good tidy-up, there's probably a lot of un-necessary stuff installed on it.

But you can get into trouble if you just start deleting stuff, so if you can tell us some details of your system, we can offer some advice to maybe get some space back.

Handy to know first up would be how many drives you have in My Computer, (C:, D: etc) and what details you get for each when you right click and select their Properties.

Also you could look in Control Panel for Add/Remove Programs, and read the list of programs that can be removed by the Windows installer. If some of these are not needed, they could make some space on the drive. List them for us if you wish.

Also go to www.belarc.com download the free personal audit and run it - it will tell you about your hardware you have installed.... print a copy off for future reference and post the results here (edit out the licence numbers for your programs though).

As to your java problem - did you system say there were not enough resources?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thank you Platypus for your input. Here goes, and it is quite a list!!:
    General: Microsoft windows 95 4:00 950B
    32 OBM RAM
    Authentic AMD

Memory 32.0 MB of RAM
    System Resource 76% free
    file system 32-Bit
    virtual memory-32Bit
    Disc compression:not installed
    No PCMCIA cards installed
    Windows set-up:
    accessories options .04mb
    accessories 10.3mb
    communication 1.5
    disc tools 0.0
    fax 2.6
    multimedia 8.8
    windows messaging 5.6

Floppy A: 0/0
    D: 0/0
    Main C: Used: 719,028,244 Bytes 685 MB
    Free: 558,342,144 532MB
    Capacity, 1,277370,368 Bytes 1.18 GB

Under Add/Remove: ( because of space i will run them together) Adobe Acrobat 4.0/Encarta encyclopedia 99/ Microsoft greetings/ Microsoft internet explorer 5.0 and internet tools/ microsoft office 2000 small business/microsoft outlook express5 /microsoft web publishing wizard 1.6/ microsoft media player 6.4/ microsoft works 4.5/ microsoft set-up launcher./ Sierra utilities / Sound Blaster audio.
    As for the power supply I will have to wait till tomorrow, cause even with a flashlight I can't see any markings...Do I just NOT have enough memory?
    Starter

I don't see anything too problematic there.

Over 500M free on the hard drive leaves plenty of space for that class of system, you shouldn't be running out of virtual memory unless it's manually set very low.

You can check virtual memory settings by right clicking My Computer, selecting Properties and looking in Virtual Memory on the Performance tab. Most home systems are just set to allow Windows to manage virtual memory. From the same tab you can also check the system's available resources (which is not the same as available memory) when you have IE5 running.

32M of memory is a bit lean, but Win95 and IE 5.0 is the least demanding combination.

As NooNoo has queried, what was the actual problem you had when you tried to install your download? Any error messages you got would be helpful, and details of what file you downloaded, & from where.
    Last edited by Platypus; April 27th, 2003 at 02:41 AM.

Unhappy Still can't find it!!

Thank you Mr. Platypus and Mr. NooNoo, when I clicked on properties, this is what I saw...
    Hard Disc C:\ 527 MB free
    No max/ no MIn/ both areas were the shadowed grey you get when you can't change them. Because I am Bold..and want to know, I clicked on the Selected button and then found my max was still 528.
    As for what happened, I chose the official Microsoft web site, which directed me to another ( yes, Java site) , where I downloaded, I thought successfully, Microsoft Virtual Machine. But when I went to install it.. as I recall, I got a message that said I did not have enough space to run it. Bummmmmer! I know in the big scheme of things, I should just spring for more computer, and move along. But the truth is, this is a pretty great piece of machinery as it is, and there is no way I am going to give it up because I can't play a few games!!! My brother..who is forgetful most of the time, and leaves out important instructions, gave me this most worthy machine. I Hope you understand!?! Thanks if you have any advice. ( short of ditching it, that is..) Ahhh, heck, I'd take that too, but I wouldn't actually do it.! Thank you , thank you!!
    starter

The virtual memory sounds how it would be expected to be with Windows managing. That means when the 32M of physical memory isn't enough, Windows uses as much of the hard drive as it needs for "virtual" memory". It's slower but Windows doesn't run out of memory.

Considering this, and the available space on the hard drive, I'm not sure what the VM setup would have been lacking to say not enough space.

NooNoo, who is a knowledgeable lady , may have some more ideas, or some of the other techs who aren't around on weekends may know, for example, if the VM demands more than 32M of physical memory. This is possible, some sites recommend 128M for successful operation of java applets, although this would be with IE6 and at least Win98, which need more memory than your configuration. But the VM installer could still look for more memory than you have.
    Last edited by Platypus; April 27th, 2003 at 05:40 AM.

Let's see what windows thinks you have Click on that link and post the results - it will tell us whether you have ms java and what version.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Well, well, well...I got nuttin' apparently. The window remained blank, except for the usual " To display this window properly you need to download and install the following components
    Microsoft virtual machine". I clicked cancel and the message read, "if you don't see anything within a few seconds you do not have"...
    Sooooo, now what? Thank you again for your patience.
    Starter

Try this one Make an exact note of any error messages you get...

If that works you will then need the update here

Hello...I downloaded both files and received no error messages. What should I do now? I am feeling hopeful!
    Starter

Originally posted by Starter
    Hello...I downloaded both files and received no error messages. What should I do now? I am feeling hopeful!
    Starter
    Just download? Did you install the first one?

I installed them both. There was no problem that I know of. I know this is stupid to ask, but was that Virtual Machine? What do I do now to check out my installation?
    Still Hopeful
    starter

Go to this page again See what it says about your java now. Try a java based page like Windrivers Chat and see if it loads ok (link is at the top of every forum page).

Question

Hello again. The message at the link you provided writes:
    Microsoft Java VM build 5.0.3809 detected. Hooray!! I clicked on the link that reads " Join other techies in the WinDrivers chat room."
    When the computer arrived there a download page appeared that read" Do you want to install and run iRC applet?" I opted out to return and ask your advice. Do I need this? If not, or even if so, how do I proceed to "join a Chat?". I am clueless, having never done so before. Yep...I still have one foot in the stone age! If I forgot to mention just how much I appreciate your unfailing patience and kindness in continuing to assist me let me do so now. Many, many thanks! I also had some time to take off one of the speakers, but unfornutely, there is no voltage signature. Just a circle with a minus sign with a line to an empty circle and a line to a circle with a plus sign. the area to plug in is a round "hole" with a male round "Prong" in the middle. I think Pladypus said to get a 6 volt, but I am not sure. Maybe I could get that and work up to a 9? I'll be waiting to hear from you. Thank you, Mam, very much.
    starter